NEW BOOK: Watch How We Walk by Jennifer LoveGrove

by blondie 3 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.dailyheraldtribune.com/2013/11/28/world-of-jehovahs-witnesses-setting-for-intriguing-novel

LoveGrove, an Ontario- based writer, was raised as a Jehovah until she was 14 years old. In interviews, LoveGrove has said that the story is not autobiographical, but the setting is familiar to her. Jehovah’s Witnesses are tremendously insular and isolated, which is part of what makes this novel so intriguing.

Because of her experiences growing up within the Church, LoveGrove is able to provide the reader a glimpse into this strange and unfamiliar world. The book’s story revolves around a young Jehovah’s Witness named Emily. Emily has been raised within the Church and knows little else.

Her mother is a reluctant Jehovah, and her father aspires to rise through the ranks of the Church. Emily’s sister Lenora is a teenager, and she’s having her own difficulties with the religion. She becomes increasingly secretive and is spending time with “worldly” people; those not in the Church.

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

Looks interesting. I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

• wearewatchingyouman
    wearewatchingyouman

I really think a well written book with these themes could do well. People are always curious about little worlds they do not know. I've been waiting for some reality show based off witnesss teenagers and 20 somethings escaping Amish style!

• JeffT
    JeffT

I'm about 2/3 of the way through it. I'll put up a longer post when I'm done. Its a good read. She uses nonlinear narrative, and unusual formatting, which enhances the story. It may qualify as literary fiction.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit