The elephant in the room swishes its tail

by Suraj Khan 5 Replies latest jw experiences

• Suraj Khan
    Suraj Khan

My believing mother, with whom I've recently reconnected after twenty years, and I had a mostly pleasant conversation this weekend. I had planned to visit one of these weekends before the weather gets rough and she called to warn me away this weekend - a vicious storm was coming through.

She mentioned that my UBER-DUB sister and her family would also be there. I carefully and calmly explained that being there at the same time would Not Be A Very Good Thing. This is the sister who briefly friended me on Facebook and then melted down when I posted a highlighted Watchtower article on shunning along with some rather tart commentary by me casting aspersions on the practice.

"Well, I guess they* hope that people will come back to Jehovah's love," my mother offered. I mentioned that quite a bit of shunning is based on rumors and illustrated the point that my UBER-DUB sister believed I was cast out of the congregation for fornication (untrue). And then I said, "I am not trying to debate you on this and we'll move on. Iiiii'm not saying anything more."

But of course, once you get a Witness talking about The Truth(tm), the cult mindset kicks in and nothing else matters. My mother spent the next ten minutes lamenting the fact that the congregation is mostly elderly and shrinking. They're down to 30 people now. "But," she added brightly, "we just had So-and-so's son baptized. He's ten or twelve."

"Mom," I said, "do you really think a child is able to dedicate his life to Jehovah at ten or twelve?" I asked, possibly a bit too incredulously.

Long silence.

"Iiiii'm not going to say more," I finally stammered, "I do not want to lose my family again, but...good God, Mom."

Thankfully, we disengaged from the topic and managed to reschedule my visit this fall. I've got a care package set up for her and ready to go. My heart says lead a life of quiet example. Don't push this.

But I think we both saw the elephant in the room at last. And it winked at us.

___

* Curious pronoun choice here, now that I think about it. She didn't say "we". Interesting!

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

" My believing mother, with whom I've recently reconnected after twenty years, and I had a mostly pleasant conversation this weekend. "

Bro... this sentence alone made me hurt :(

• gorgia2
    gorgia2

Well done.

gorgia

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

SK: My heart says lead a life of quiet example. Don't push this .

Go with that!

I know it's hard, but it's the right thing to do.

• ruderedhead
    ruderedhead

So glad you are reconnecting. You are going down the right path. Actions can speak louder than words.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

HI Suraj Khan, Congradulations on wanting to improve your relationship with your mother, and hopefully help her to critically think for herself. Of course if she says that the congregation is getting smaller, it wouldn't hurt to ask her what she feels is the root cause, or to ask what she would do to increase the congregation size or to combine congregations to reduce costs since the end is soooo near and the need is so urgent.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit