Interesting conversation with this pentecostal today at work. It made me think.

by joe134cd 6 Replies latest jw experiences

• joe134cd
    joe134cd
    At work today a colleague was telling me how his church had purchased a van for the sole purpose of caring for their youth. He was saying every Friday / Saturday night the church organizes some event for its youth outside it's church services. They also have other services to that are provided free of charge for its members. I was telling him about my JW youth and how little the organisation did for it young people other than knocking on doors. True I don't think a young persons motivation for going to church should be just for social activity. But on the other hand what a hugh difference it would make if Wt could create a sense of community for its young people. Although I think primary motivation of the church and it's members is to learn about God. It should also be a place to fellowship and just to have fun and a good time as well. I believe my colleagues church is trying to provide this, and it's something Wt could learn from.
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Yes I've seen that other religious institutions, where there is an initiative to be involved with teens into making social activities, with mature adults supervising and creating outings.

I would have to be honest that the teens in my old Hall tried to have association outside the Hall, such skating nights, bowling nights and the occasional party but it wasn't that regular or really instigated by parents etc..

It seems what you get when your a JWS child and teen is boredom and only pressure to do more, such as service and talks, non religious social activities is little to be seen or had.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I should also add that it may be partially the reason why so many teens drop out of the religion all together, there were certainly a lot in my years as a teen JWS.

• Blackfalcon98
    Blackfalcon98
    This is very much the case. Interesting thread, this is to be expected now that I take a step back from the cult mindset. Once you accept that the WT isn't a religion, but a cultic publishing company, you no longer expect to see some of the better aspects of religion within its dealings. Love and compasion go out the window.
  • FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    Yeah, Pentecostals are a little heavy on the rules and a little freaky in many ways, but even they have way more fun than witnesses. I see their vans all the time, driving kids around to go have fun together.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

Blackfalcon98 - "Once you accept that the WT isn't a religion, but a cultic publishing company, you no longer expect to see some of the better aspects of religion within its dealings."

Interesting perception, and pretty hard to argue with.

• DwainBowman
    DwainBowman
    The Cong I am stuck in, may have one get to get a year! And they wonder why so many of the young ones are ready to leave!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit