Who kills more trees? Wt vs. power company?

by DS211 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• DS211
    DS211

I have to share an interesting experience with my wife this morning (not a bedroom story...sinners ;-)).

we were driving to work and my wife asked why they havent changed the wooden power poles to concrete.

Me: well i think they change them as they start to give out.

wife: but they kill so many trees doing this!!!! why wouldnt they figure that out?

(what i wanted to say)me: how many trees do the Watchtower kill printing magazines and bibles????

so what do you think lol who kills more trees?

WT vs. the power company--ok...Go!

• jgnat
    jgnat

Here's a little calculator for you. Let me know if you can access it. If we take the publication consumption for a year, multiply it by number of pages, we should be able to work out how many trees are sacrificed for "truth".

Paper Savings Calculator

There are approximately 150 million wood poles in service throughout the United States with an additional six million new poles added annually. Approximately three percent of treated wood poles are retired from service each year? (North Pacific Group, 2005). At the end of its lifespan, a wooden utility pole is typically disposed of in one of three ways: deposited in a landfill, incinerated, or re-cycled for other uses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utility_pole

http://www.enviroliteracy.org/article.php/1311.html

• KateWild
    KateWild

Very funny, Why didn't you just say it DS?

BTW you other thread has 8 pages, are you going to join in?

Love Kate xx

• alanv
    alanv

Considering the Watchtower and Awake are the most circulated magazines in the world, there is no doubt they are one of the main culprits. It is only recently that they have cut back on the paper they use, by having smaller magazines and not printing them so often. Plus much info is now online so the circulation may well fall even further. But certainly for decades they have been responsable for the destruction of millions of trees.

• zeb
    zeb

I asked about recycling old books and mags once and I got the look.

• factfinder
    factfinder

Companies such as RR Donnelley and Sons and Quadgraphics use FAR MORE paper than the wts does, as do most large newspapers.

There are many companies in fact, that use much more paper than the wts does.

• alanv
    alanv

Hi fact finder I must admit I forgot about newspapers that are printed every day in their millions, but I gueess apart from newspapers the Watchtower must be one of the biggest users.

• factfinder
    factfinder

Around 2005 the wts was using about 100,000 tons of paper a year. Now with the reduced page count in the magazines and a few other publications, it is probably less.

But yes, they do use a lot of paper.

But the largest printing companies and newspaper plants use millions of tons of paper per year each.

• andys
    andys

I also remember in the 90's I think there was an Awake that was printed about tropical rain forests, how ironic it is that they print an article about rain forest trees wasting paper/trees in the process..........................................

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

DS211 >>> how many trees do the Watchtower kill printing magazines and bibles?

Cross-referencing: WTBTS environmental impact: Printing Production - Worldwide

I believe their paper throughput is diminishing as they are replacing it with racks of servers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit