Past-Life Regression

by Hortensia 3 Replies latest jw friends

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Another long story, folks.

When I left the wtbts at the age of 30-ish, I was wide open to anything. I had decided I might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb. I was going to massage school, which was full of true believers of every sort from the christians through the eastern religions to the woowoo artists. I was willing to try out everything -- amazing I didn't get into trouble! -- and one of the things I tried was past-life regression. Since I wanted new experiences, and was willing to believe anything if it seemed believable, past-lives sounded intriguing and who the hell knew? Might be true.

So a friend of mine who specialized in them had me lie down, and hypnotized me. She never mentioned past-life regression, just asked me to find myself in an elevator, going up or down, my choice. She asked me to stop at any floor and tell me what I saw when the door opened. It was interesting. At one point I was a little boy during WWII who hid in the Natural History museum in New York. After the museum closed, I wandered around and was deliciously frightened by the scary exhibits.

At another point I was a woman pioneer at the trail beginning in Independence, Missouri. We were loading up our covered wagon to start the trip to California. At some point on the trip I got shot by an arrow in the back, running away from marauding Indians. And so on, up and down the elevator. It was fascinating and I'm glad I had the experience. Did it make me believe in past lives? Well, no. It was pretty clear to me that all the stories were coming from my own mind, and were focused around subjects about which I had some knowledge. My mother brought me up on stories about the pioneers and the wild West, for instance, since she came from Wyoming. The only one I wasn't really familiar with was the museum in NY, which I've never visited, but I imagine it was drawn from some book I read.

It was the same with everything else I tried. I visited a lot of religions. They're pretty much all the same, based on human ideas attempting to explain life. Acupuncture, Acupressure, Ayurveda, various other kinds of massage, crystals, vibrations, essential oils, a bunch of that stuff has some value, but the beliefs surrounding them aren't true.

Too much common sense. I tried out all of it and could see that there are a lot of interesting beliefs out there, but not much basis for any of them in reality.

I even went to watch a Philippine psychic doctor do "surgery." I could see 1) that it was faked with bloody little bits of what looked like chicken skin, and 2) he was doing a damned good abdominal massage which is probably what gave the patient some relief. I've done tons of abd. massage and it has really good results. However, it can't cure cancer or other diseases, which is what some people claim.

It was a lot of fun, but not much of it is true.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I agree, I am the skeptical sort also. It seemed to me that people who want to believe something are usually very easy to fool. I have an interest in modern urban legends. I was amazed at how many people were so willing to believe such far fetch stories. It was usually because the story validated some belief, or fear that they had. Somehow it makes them feel better to buy into it and pass this on.

A right wing business acquaintance added me to her "right wing crap" email lst. One involved the US dollar coin. It showed a picture of the coin and it didn't have "in God we trust". This was given as an example of a liberal conspiracy to remove all references to God. This was wrong because "our founding fathers were good Christians and intended for this to be a Christian nation". Everyone was supposed to refuse to use the coins. Everyone else expressed shock and outrage and promised not to take these coins.

In thirty seconds I was able to learn that for a brief time, "In God We Trust" was put on the edge of the coin. This only lasted for a few months, and all new coins currently had the motto on the face of the coins. I replied to the group giving them this information. I also informed them that some of the founding fathers were Athiests, and that they believed in the separation of church and state. The term was not added to the coins until the civil war, and in my opinion should be there in the first place.

Of course this just made me the enemy, which was fine, I had no interest in doing business with someone that stupid. She could have checked this out before passing it around, but she wanted to believe it, as it validated her bias, and she was mad I called her on it. She would have rather believed a lie than the truth. In fact, she probably didn't even believe me.

Another person told a funny story about a well known black comedian. She swore it really happened, to "friend of a friend". I knew that couldn't be true because I had heard the same story ten years earlier, but it was a different comedian. She refused to believe it wasn't true.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Urban legends are often very funny. And people get really annoyed if you send them some correct information, such as Snopes.com. They aren't interested in the truth of the matter, just in a good story so they can get righteously angry.

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

Reminds me of the time, back in 1971,when a friend in Houston who worked in a department store told a crazy story. One of the employees went out to bring back KFC for lunch for his co-workers. While eating a piece of 'chicken' a gal noticed small bits of fur in her mouth. It turned out that the 'chicken leg' was in fact a mouse that had fallen into the batter and got fried along with the chicken. My friend swore this was a true story that happened at his place of employment. Only years later did I discover it was in fact a well-known urban legend that had been making the rounds for many years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit