A View From Soviet Canada

by Sargon 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sargon
    Sargon

For those of you in other countries who have the mistaken belief that the Canadian political scene is fair and just let me explain about what is happening in my home province of Ontario at this time.
    Our provincial government is in the process of derugulating the hydro industry. At present this has only affected the distribution network. The government wants to sell the production facilities. The union took the government to court to prevent this. The union won. The court found that the government does not have the authority to sell these assets.
    So what does the government do? Instead of accepting the courts ruling, or following acceptable legal practice by filing an appeal: the government is drafting legislation that will allow them to go ahead with the sale. This is not only arrogant, but smells like totalitarianism. Any other member of society is bound by a court's ruling, however our legislative assembly feels because it creates laws it is not to be bound by the law.
    In a nutshell, that is what is wrong with the Canadian system. With all the checks and balances in the U.S. system, it would be hard for crap like this to happen. In Canada, our only recourse is to wait until the next election, but our elections always come down to what shade of red you really want; or wether to vote for Larry, Curly or Moe.

Imagination is more important than Knowledge. Albert Einstein

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

First of all, I'm not sure what this has to do with JW's, but since we're here...

The sale of Ontario Hydro was blocked by the court because of the wording of the legislation governing its ownership. The legislation governing Hyrdo One gave the government the right to buy and own the utility but not the right to sell it. Correcting this wording is a minor technicality that will take about five weeks.

Why should not the duly elected government of Ontario not have the right to sell an asset if it chooses? How is this any different from private ownership of a telephone or other utility?

The union is acting only in its own self interest, and has not effectively blocked this.

You have made the comparison of the Ontario government to the Soviets, yet which group (the union or the government) is acting in the interest of free enterprise and smaller government?

You have also said that this would not happen in the U.S. Are you nuts? Utility privatization is further ahead in the U.S. than it is in Canada.

• Sargon
    Sargon

My problem with this whole situation isn't the actual sale of hydro,
    it's the governments arrogance in ignoring a court order. I actually agree with you about why shouldn't the government be allowed to sell an asset, but could you imagine the chaos if we were all allowed to enact legislation to avoid court decisions. My whole point is that in a just society, judicial decisions must be respected by all members of society, including the legislative branch.
    If this were a mere technicality, due to the wording of the original legislation; why wasn't it cleared up before it went to trial instead of wasting valuable court time.
    I am aware that this has nothing to do with jw's, but lots of posts here don't. Sometimes this is just a place to vent certain frustrations.

• Beans
    Beans

This is a total load of crap! Our Government really stinks out this province. Just like the 407 Highway they sold it it it has made 10 fold more money than they had anticipated and still are making money! Why did they sell it? I`m sure some pockets were greased and I also heard that it was up for sale before it was even built.

Beans

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Canucks,

As there are now officially fifty terrorists groups, from the IRA to Al-Qaeda, using Canada as a base for their activities, you do not understand the predicament that Canadian Government finds itself in.

You see it must raise cash to pay for the medical expenses, housing and utilities, education and living expenses for these terrorists, most of whom have been waved through Customs by one of their colleagues who arrived in Canada illegally and managed to find work processing ‘refugees’.

As the national anthem might say : "Canada, Oh God Canada…not again….lol

In politics the price of complacency is always repaid by the tax payer.

HS

• Beans
    Beans

How true this is! I was in a Carribean Restaurant and I overheard a conversation of a guy who was explaining how he was here illegally. It really makes me sick! They say the Canadian Immigration is the bleeding heart of Canada. Hey I will take an immigrant who is here legally because we are all immigrants in this country, but if your here illegally GET OUT! There is not enough people policing this problem!

Beans

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit