Were you a meeter and greeter or a background observer?

by likeabird 6 Replies latest jw friends

• likeabird
    likeabird

I've noticed how on newbie threads everyone jumps in to say hello, even other newbies.

It got me wondering.

When you were in, were you the type to greet all the newcomers and visiting bros and siss, or would you stay in the background and wait a few meetings to manage to go over to say hello?

I was the latter. I'm not particularly anti-social, but as a foreigner, meeting new people meant they felt they had the right to interrogate me on my life story in the first five minutes of the acquaintance just because they could see I wasn't one of them. Being assigned to preach with a newcomer was torturous and I would shut my eyes waiting for the interrogation to start.

So anyway, that's what made me fall into the latter group. What about you?

• Gopher
    Gopher

I was a mixture of both. It depended on my mood. Normally I'm an introvert.

• gma-tired2
    gma-tired2

I was an observer even with those who I knew throughout my childhood.

• CyrusThePersian
    CyrusThePersian

I wanted to be a background observer but I forced myself to be a meeter and greeter because as an elder I thought it was my responsibility. I'm normally a very shy person.

• tiki
    tiki

not a meeter/greeter - not at all...even CO's and their wives - everyone would crowd around and fawn all over them - i never did....if i ended up in service or something with them on a 1:1 basis, then okay.....but i was never much of an actress. in fact, i used to be appalled at how some totally aloof unfriendly types would bow and kotow to visiting speakers and/or brooklyn emissaries. i knew of plenty who couldn't manage a civil hello to someone they saw at the hall week in and week out for years, but give them a hot shot visitor and they'd turn into mr or ms congeniality of the century.

• 88JM
    88JM

I would also class myself as an introvert. I find a lot of the "meeting and greeting" quite contrived and uncomfortable when you realise you have very little in common once you run out of small talk.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

i only introduced myself to one sister and went out with her for a while.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit