What is this "don't take it personally comment all about ? "

by caliber 7 Replies latest jw friends

• caliber
    caliber

Do you think when someone takes things personally in a way they are "selfcentered" because "its all about them" ...

or does it mean maybe that the person is just very caring and sensitive?

"(A phrase people use as a disclaimer to make an excuse to say or do something rude or mean to you to prevent you from having a poor self-image or so there won't be repercussions")

When a person says not to take it personally, don't they mean it may be upset them ... just like they are requesting you not to be upset ?

Or is it saying learn something without retaliatory action ... like this joke from another post today

I'm suddenly remembering of a joke regarding a grammatical Nazi: A man walks up to another on the street and asks, “Can you tell where the library is at?” The other person says: “You should never end a sentence with a preposition.” “OK”, says the first man. “Can you tell me where the library is at, asshole?”

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

Kind of like the 'all due respect' qualification. It means that either a subtle insult or pointed criticism is on its way. But whatever you do, do not take any offence! It's meant in with 'all due respect', which in reality means that there is very little of it coming.

• LucidChimp
    LucidChimp

To quote Al Murray "Don't take it personally, it's not personal - It's general... That means it includes you".

• Watkins
    Watkins

It's like, "I mean that in the best possible way..."

"You're fat....(meaningful pause) BUT I mean that 'in the best possible way', because I really LIKE fat people!"

'The best possible way' to not purposely offend someone is by keeping quiet, right? If someone tells me 'not to take personally' the next rude thing that comes out of their mouth, I assume it IS meant VERY personally!

~W

• Legacy
    Legacy

Hi,

If one says "Don't take it Personal", I would reply..."So, what person should I take it to"....or " Where should I take it"...

An elderly lady said that to her employer once....I love it...

Legacy

• KateWild
    KateWild

People want to make themselves feel better, and think they are doing things in a more socially acceptable manner, which they are not. They are being rude, it's just passive rudeness.

Reminds me of the thin veneer of politeness at the KH. When Bro and Sis Important walk passed you, and say "Hi, how are you?" and carry on walking.

Funny really, most of us see right through it. Kate xx

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Down south here we have a different expression we use rather than "with all due respect" and "don't take this personally but...."

You simply start the sentence or end the sentence with: "Bless her(his) heart".......... then you can say damn near anything with a smile.

Doc

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

It means to look objectively at the facts instead of getting all hissy, cos something has been said that threatens a cherished belief.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit