Manfred Barthel

by jonahstourguide 2 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jonahstourguide
  • jonahstourguide
    jonahstourguide

oops

In the September 15 2013 Study issue on page 21 paragraph 18 there is a asterisk footnote reference to a

February 1 1994 Watchtower page 9 paragraph 7.

There it takes a quote from Manfred Barthel's book "The Jesuits - History & Legend of the Society of Jesus"

The Watchtower quotes thus ,, "The committee informed van der Steen that they were prepared to waive the height requirement, but only with the proviso that he would learn to recite the entire bible by heart. The story would hardly be worth telling if van der Steen had not complied with this rather presumptuous request"

I am trying to ascertain if this is in fact supported by any proof from Manfred Barthel or if in fact it is simply anecdotal.

The best i can find is that Manfred Barthel was a Scriptwriter, Film Producer, Journalist and Co-Producer of Von Daniken's "Chariots Of The Gods"

Can anyone here enlighten me. ( I have used Lord google and it referred to Wiki's article on van der Steen but no reference to his height or

Bible recitation from memory).

• Earnest
    Earnest

The quote is accurate but as Barthel died in 2007 it will be difficult to establish his source. Cornelius van der Steen was better known as Cornelius a Lapide and was a professor of exegesis at Louvain and Rome. You can read some of his commentaries here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit