2 Samuel 1:26

by Gromit 3 Replies latest jw friends

• Gromit
    Gromit

2 Samuel 1:26 says:
    “I am distressed over you my brother Jonathon; Very pleasant you were to me.
    More wonderful was your love to me than love from women.”

David said this when he found out his good friend Jonathon had died. Does what he said about love mean that he was homosexual? What do you think?

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

I hope this doesn't become another homo bashing topic.

The NIV Study Bible has this comment:

"David is not suggesting that marital love is inferior to that of friendship, nor do his remarks have any sexual implications. He is simply calling attention to Jonathan's nearly inexplicable self-denying commitment to David, whom he had long recognized as the Lord's choice to succeed his father rather than himself."

I could also add that David's actions in regard to Bathsheba show that he was a man who could get sexually aroused by a woman and develop a passion for her.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"If our hopes for peace are placed in the hands of imperfect people, they are bound to evaporate."

- Ron Hutchcraft Surviving the Storms of Stress

• gumby
    gumby

Was he Homosexual? David!

Remember bathsheeba?

With the consequences of a 'male with a male' in the "Law", I don't think David's life would have been part of scripture if he were gay.

The question should be asked....was he bisexual?

Of coarse not! Gays jump on this scripture to justify same sex relationships and it's lame.

David simply had affection for him as do men with women.
    Having AFFECTION for someone has nothing to do with sex desire.

I had great affection for my dog I lost a year ago. I cried harder, than when my own father died. It dosen't mean I was attracted to my pet in another way.

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

The New American Bible cross references this to 1 Samuel 18:1;

NAB 1 Samuel 18:1 [By the time David finished speaking with Saul, Jonathan had become as fond of David as if his life depended on him; he loved him as he loved himself.

Believe it or not, men can become fast friends and it not be sexually oriented. This scripture has nothing to do with sexual orientation at all. But, it does go to show how scripures get misused to justify someones position, much like heteros have excused wife beatings and enslavement of Blacks by misquoting scriptures.

If God's Spirit is filling a Kingdom Hall, how is it that Satan can manuever the ones within that Kingdom Hall at the same time?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit