ER Visit-Overheard Blood Discussion

by Band on the Run 3 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I needed to go to the ER for a fairly routine matter. The hospital did not have good privacy practices. They closed curtains but you could not help but overhear everything. I was anxious in the setting. A patient was refusing blood transfusions. She had some blood disorder. I was struck by how calm the medical doctor was at her refusal. She was an attractive woman who appeared calm. I frequent ers with more privacy so this was the first time I overheard this decision in a real life setting.

It upset me. The blood doctrine can appear abstract on the surface. I don't feel she should receive the transfusion. She also did not strike me as mindless Witnesss. A real life person so certain that Jehovah is tangible and the blood doctrine is the only one to perceive God's commandment. It upset me a bit.

One time I would parrot the words. Was she really parotting?

• TD
    TD
    One time I would parrot the words. Was she really parotting?

BOTR

Everybody is a unique individual. Who knows for sure?

One thing I do know. I've watched JW's up close and personal for 40 years now.

Their view on the subject is fluid and changes whenever the parent organization changes its view.

That strongly suggests parotting to me.

• adamah
    adamah

TD said-

Their view on the subject is fluid and changes whenever the parent organization changes its view. That strongly suggests parotting to me.

As Simon recently suggested, the easy way to find out is to print up a counterfeit WT with "new light" announcing a policy change that allows BT, and hand it to them and see how quickly they accept that blood. That's blind obedience to authority, and not free-thinking or displaying intelligence or depth of thought (or even stopping to think about the ramifications about the unknown number of JWs who've already lost their lives, based on "old light" AKA flawed understanding).

Think of it: if any rank-and-file JW truly understood the Genesis account of the Flood, or even bothered to compare Genesis 9:5-6 to any other Bible translation, they wouldn't be following the GB's twisted interpretation and be willing to die for it. That's not showing even an ounce of prudence or due diligence needed to save one's own life, by ANY stretch of the imagination. They're dying on faith, alone, and as you all know, faith trumps reason for a Xian.

Adam

• TD
    TD
    As Simon recently suggested, the easy way to find out is to print up a counterfeit WT with "new light" announcing a policy change that allows BT, and hand it to them and how quickly they accept that blood. That's blind obedience to authority, and not free-thinking or displaying intelligence or depth (or even stopping to think about the ramifications about the unknown number of JWs who've lost their lives, based on "old light" AKA flawed understanding).

Yes. --Kinda sad. I know already how my wife's relatives would respond.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit