Articles on Quantum Mechanics in the magazines, how many?

by VM44 8 Replies latest jw friends

• VM44
    VM44

How many articles on quantum mechanics have been published in the Watchtower and Awake magazines?

Could someone with the WT-CD library check on this?

• Watchtower-Free
    Watchtower-Free

Only 3 minor mentions ever

*** Insight book-2 p. 730 Rainbow ***
    RAINBOW
    A semicircular bow, or arc, exhibiting a spectrum of colors; a visible sign of Jehovah’s covenant promise that ‘no more would all flesh be cut off by waters of a deluge, and no more would there occur a deluge to bring the earth to ruin.’ (Ge 9:11-16) There is no separate Hebrew word for rainbow, so the normal word for “bow” (with which to shoot arrows) is used in the Bible.—Eze 1:28.
    Complicated theories and formulas are used to explain the formation of a rainbow. Basically, it seems that as white light enters a raindrop it is refracted and dispersed into different colors, the drop acting like a tiny prism. Each color strikes the inner surface of the drop and is reflected back at a different and specific angle. Thus an observer sees a bow with all seven colors of the spectrum (from the inside of the arc outward: violet, indigo, blue, green, yellow, orange, and red), though these may blend so that only four or five are clear. Sometimes a larger and less distinct “secondary” bow is formed with the colors reversed. Scientists are still studying the rainbow. Carl B. Boyer observes: “Within a raindrop the interaction of light energy with matter is so intimate that one is led directly to quantum mechanics and the theory of relativity. . . . Although much is known about the production of the rainbow, little has been learned about its perception.”—The Rainbow, From Myth to Mathematics, 1959, pp. 320, 321.

*** g71 12/8 p. 18 Transistors—Tiny Titans of Electronics ***
    Transistors—Tiny Titans of Electronics
    MINIATURE radios, TV sets, hearing aids—these owe much of their existence to those tiny titans of electronics called transistors. What is behind these electronic marvels? The ideas have much to do with a branch of physics called quantum mechanics, which deals with very small objects such as atoms and electrons.
    Just what do transistors do? What are their advantages? How are they made?

*** g80 8/22 p. 26 “Dimensions of Human Ignorance” ***
    According to the noted biologist and research scientist Lewis Thomas, M.D., man should have a greater sense of wonderment about creation around him. The U.S. national museum’s “Smithsonian” magazine observes that Thomas’ writings stress “how little we humans yet know about the world. The dimensions of human knowledge, he reminds us, are dwarfed by the dimensions of human ignorance.”
    In an interview with the “Smithsonian,” Thomas noted that now “there is much more puzzlement about the laws of nature than there was a century ago.” Illustrating this, he related: “Lord Kelvin, a leading figure in physics at the turn of the century, said that physics was now finished and that if he were a young man he wouldn’t go into physics because there was nothing more to be done except tidy up a few things. Then along came quantum theory and relativity and quantum mechanics and all the rest.

• Gopher
    Gopher

How ironic that the Awake magazine published an article about the dimensions of human ignorance.

• MadGiant
    MadGiant

I am not a witness, but I doubt you will find some article about science (and I don't mean pseudo-science) in the wt library or any religious text or library.

Personally I found it very complicated. I don't understand most of it. Is a very abstract concept. There are even some laws of physics that don't apply in that discipline. like objects being in two places at the same time, correlations that exceed any classical correlations, and the apparent ability for information to travel instantaneously across vast distances. I don't get any of that.

Quantum Mechanic is the scientific principles that explains the behaviour of matter and its interactions with energy on the scale of atoms and subatomic particles, and how these phenomena could be related to everyday life.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Introduction_to_quantum_mechanics

• Gopher
    Gopher

What faithful servant of Jah needs to study anything complicated of this world? These things lead to independent thinking anyhow. The only thing a faithful servant of Jah needs to study is the wise sayings of the Bible and the wise "current truth" explanations emanating from the 8-man faithful slave class.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Awake 2005 09/8 p20

"Einstein’s Extraordinary Year

IN 1905, a 26-year-old patent clerk named Albert Einstein published four scientific papers that altered the way we view our universe—from its tiniest building blocks to its most massive galaxies. Some of these papers also became springboards launching many of the life-altering inventions produced during the past 100 years...................................................................................................

Einstein won the 1921 Nobel Prize for Physics for his way of explaining light. His paper helped lead the way to a new field of science called quantum theory. In turn, quantum theory laid the foundation for a host of applications including nuclear science, electronics, and nanotechnology"

In these days of skinny mags, simplified editions and articles in little more than baby talk, you are unlikely to get much more than this

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Talking ABOUT subject is not the same as actually DISCUSSING it.

None of these blurbs even get so far as even talking ABOUT quantum mechanics. They only mention that there is such a thing.

None of this would pass as a basic unit in elementary school science in the country in which I live.

• scotoma
    scotoma

I used to talk to a JW by the name of Frank Kappel?? (my memory isn't perfect) He lived in Oregon or Washington State.

This was back in the 1990's when AOL had a religious discussion forum.

He used his actual name. He authored a college textbook on Quantum Mechanics.

He is dead now. But we had some interesting discussions.

I saved an email from him where he answered one of my questions about the relationship between the four forces. I will try to dig it up.

He was a very skeptical JW and definitely didn't believe in demons. He would defend JW's when compared to other religions but at the same time was critical of JW's.

There were a certain type of free thinker that became JW's in the 1940's and 1950's. They were religious by their traditional upbringing and hadn't worked out the ideas that would have pushed them toward atheism. The idea that religion was a snare and a racket appealed to them.

During that time when the cold war was raging JW's seemed to have a plausibile explanation of events. That has all faded.

Frank was that type and coincidentally was a physics professor.

I've known other highly educated people who became JW's after years of dealing with severe alcoholism. Guess they were in search of any kind of "higher power" that could get that monkey off their back.

Let me know if anyone from the North West knew this guy personally.

• Simon Morley
    Simon Morley

WTB$ would never support Quantum Physics. Quantum Physics is anathema to traditional Newtonian Physics ata subatomic level.

Newtonian = "either/or" (WTB$ blessing)

Quantum = "both/and" (WTB$ malediction)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit