Should Jehovah follow the lead of the elders and the Faithful Slave where punishment is concerned?

by I_love_Jeff 1 Replies latest watchtower bible

• I_love_Jeff
    I_love_Jeff

How can one's love of God be pure while being tainted by the fear of punishment?

Satan would point out that those who claim to love Jehovah are merely afraid of being destroyed by him. It is for this reason that we conclude that the only appropriate punishment for sinners would be a temporary and voluntary separation from Jehovah God. Under this plan, wrongdoers could choose, at any time, to turn around and make their way back to the light.

The disfellowshipping arrangement has been designed with this principle in mind. Disfellowshipped ones may come back at any time. Therefore, with this provision in place, it can be more convincingly argued that decisions handed down by the elders are not cruel, but meant to help bring lost sheep back into the fold. Similarly, if God allowed us to stray from him indefinitely (without the threat of eternal destruction), he could easily refute Satan's complaint by explaining that sinners may return to the light at any time without the fear of being harmed. Satan would not be able to claim that our love of God is related to our fear of destruction at Armageddon.

• Splash
    Splash

I love this paragraph from the Watchtower about punishment. It's for when we have been wronged by someone in the congregation, and explains so much about the current approach to dealing with wrongdoing. Bold for those with short attention spans ! :

*** w57 5/1 p. 280 par. 3 Trust Your Proved, Faithful Brothers ***

"Then Paul says to “speak injuriously of no one.” Gossip puts our mother in a bad light. How is that? Because our brother is a part of God’s New World society, and if we speak of him injuriously it is the same as speaking against Christ, the chief member of the mother organization. Suppose our brother has really done something that is wrong. Will your exposing his nakedness and shame to others add to the respect due our mother? Into which of the two classes Jesus described at Matthew twenty-five do you think this action would fit—that of the “sheep” or that of the “goats,” those who fed and clothed him, or those who left him destitute? Gossip is even worse than just ignoring spiritual need, because to that need it adds reproach and shame. If you think one of mother’s children needs a spanking, do not try to do it behind his back with your own tongue. Take it in the right way to our Father through his organization and let Him administer what correction may be necessary. That is the respectful way. Besides, if you do not, you might even find yourself acting like the “goat” class!"

Wow, so it is more sinful to expose a wrongdoing than committing the wrong in the first place.

Splash

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit