Does anyone remember what year...

by satinka 9 Replies latest jw friends

• satinka
    satinka

Does anyone remember what year the word "servant" was replaced with "overseer" as in Circuit Servant Overseer, District Servant Overseer ... and up the hierarchal lineage of the JWs?

Much appreciated,

satinka

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

I think it was early- to mid-'70's.

-Aude.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Can't pinpoint the exact year, but I remember it being sometime in the early 1970's as well.

• blondie
    blondie

1970-1 during the time they changed the structure of the elder body. No more called servants...too degrading?

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

1972, that is the year when they started appointing elders. My Dad was appointed as an elder in 1972. If I am wrong about 1972, let me know. Thanks!

• satinka
    satinka

Dear AudeSapere, ShirleyW, blondie and Iamallcool,

Thanks for your responses. All consistent! So that means the big switch --- from serving to being served --- happened while I was "outside" the organization, after leaving home and getting married --- but before getting sucked back in after I discovered I had married an addict and found myself pregnant and didn't want my kids to be addicts like their dad.

Don't ask, you don't wanna know.

I'm out now from all of the above and that's the important thing.

Thanks again!

satinka

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

The nu lite was introduced/announced at the conventions of the summer of 1971. The arrangement went into effect early 1972.

• Fernando
    Fernando

"the big switch --- from serving to being served"

Just another proof that God and his spirit does not dwell in the apostate Watchtower corporation.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

The protocols for who qualifies etc. are laid out in the 1972 Yearbook starting at page 3

• satinka
    satinka

Thanks Black Sheep for the reference.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit