My witnessing to an atheist was my last witnessing!

by abiather 8 Replies latest jw friends

• abiather
    abiather

In the field service, during my preaching to a householder, she interrupted me and said: “I would ask something, after getting answer you can continue!” I said ok. She said: “I was not believing in the existence of a God until recently. Last month, in the middle of the night, I got an emergency call from my hospital to attend to a complicated caesarean case. I rushed immediately and did a successful work, and was returning. It was around 3 ‘O’ clock in the morning. My car had a break-down on my way back. To my shock, I realized that I had not taken my mobile phone. I was literally in panic, yet there was nothing to do except remaining in the car locked from inside.

After some time, two youngsters came on a bike. The asked me whether I needed any help. I said no. But to my yet another shock, they did not go. They parked their bike on the side and remained there talking to each other, calling somebody over their phone. After some time one more bike came and joined them. I was thinking I am going to be raped and killed. I had no God to pray to as I was an atheist—which was the inheritance from my schooling.

Each second passed like years. To my surprise, no untoward incident took place. When the sun rose, the gang approached me and asked again what help they should do for me. I said: “I am physician. Let me make a call to my hospital so that they may send some vehicle to take me to my home.” They immediately gave their mobile phone.

I asked them why they remained around my car, as though guarding me and my vehicle. They said they are actually criminals. But they knew that the place is very dangerous for a woman to be alone in a car. Hence they thought of guarding me. When they saw the hospital vehicle arriving, they left.

When I went to save the lives of two people in the middle of the night forgetting my sleep, I had a problem on my way back. And who arranged help for me? This incident was enough for me to believe in a power behind this universe, who acts with discretion. If I know that there is a God who exists and helps even the atheist, why should you preach to people about God, you are wasting your time.

I became dumb for a moment. I thanked her and left. Yet I was not a loser, because that was my last witnessing, going out in the field-ministry.

• wizzstick
    wizzstick

Well the real answer was provided by the gang.

I asked them why they remained around my car, as though guarding me and my vehicle. They said they are actually criminals. But they knew that the place is very dangerous for a woman to be alone in a car. Hence they thought of guarding me. When they saw the hospital vehicle arriving, they left.

They were human beings looking after another human being. A simple act of kindness. Nothing divine happened. Which explained why others have been attacked in a similar situation. They did not find themsleves with humans who looked after other humans.

Strange she should read so much into it. But then people 'want' to believe.

• never a jw
    never a jw

God could have prevented the whole incident altogether and save the poor lady the mental agony. What about all the other ladies who did get raped somewhere in the world? I am sure some were also doctors. I guess God was too busy helping this one lady and couldn't help others that night. He may not be a multitasker after all; He can only help one person at a time.

• abiather
    abiather

What she conlcuded is her choice. Whether it is right or not is another question. What she said drove home a point I would never have thought of by myself as a JW. Hence it was more of God acting in favor of me than of Him acting in favor of her.

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

good for you. i don't see where god fits in though.

anyway, congrats on no longer taking part in the life saving doorknocking work ;)

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

The proof bar is set on 0. Try again with it on 100.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Nice story but ridiculous conclusions drawn from it.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Nice story but ridiculous conclusions drawn from it.-Yadda

I agree, she wasn't actually an atheist. She just never realised it!!! Kate xx

• CyrusThePersian
    CyrusThePersian

I know this is a tired old question, but it still needs to be asked. If God, in his omnipotent glory, reached out His Mighty Hand and helped this physician, why didn't he do it for the six million Jews who perished in Nazi concentation camps in World War II or the 2300 people who died in the World Trade Center tragedy on 9/11 or the tens of thousands who die each year in fires, earthquakes, floods, famines, random acts of violence, domestic violence, the list just goes on and on and on...

Why?

Because there is no God thats why.

This lady was helped by compassionate and caring people who saw that she was in trouble--even though she wouldn't admit it--and stayed to make sure that no harm would come to her until help arrived. Simple human compassion, that's all--no Gods or Goddesses necessary....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit