A good example

by mrhhome 7 Replies latest jw friends

• mrhhome
    mrhhome

To recap my story, I am married to a DA’ed ex-JW. This last year, I had to deal with a bunch of JW nonsense at a funeral for one of my in-laws. Even though I am a Methodist, the whole thing really left me aghast and rattled my faith. As I debated scripture with a JW in-law during the aftermath, I found myself questioning the value of scripture if anybody could abuse it this badly.

As much as I have criticized the Methodist church, I have to give them credit. I saw my church do something that made me proud this Sunday.

A woman showed up for the first time. Turns out that she attended the church in her youth but left. Was in an abusive relationship. Finally left when her husband ended up in jail. Recently divorced with two kids. All this came out in Sunday school.

As we left church, I told my wife that the new comer was probably in a bad spot and could use some support. I’d approach her, but it would be a little inappropriate. By the time that we left, my DA’ed ex-JW wife had offered her help and exchanged contact information. I also saw several other people reach out to her.

Would that have happened at a Kingdom hall?

I do not want to brag or appear self-righteous. However after dealing with JW up close and personal this year, I really want to slap them and say "This is what real Christians do. We help people when they get knocked down. You all would throw your own family under the bus to save face at the Kingdom Hall."

• Gopher
    Gopher

It is SO true that people can make the Bible say whatever they want it to say.

As far as whether a stranger would have been made welcome at a Kingdom Hall, I think it depends on the particular congregation (and I attended several different ones, some nice and some cold).

In some cases the JW's stand around in their groiups/cliques and don't reach out to a stranger. In other halls, they reach out to the person hoping to witness to them and possibly make a convert. This is the "love bombing" technique and it lasts until the person gets baptized as a JW (if it gets that far) and then stops shortly thereafter.

• Over%forme
    Over%forme

"You would throw your own family under the bus

to save face at the Kingdom Hall." That is about the truest statment

you could say about that cult.

• steve2
    steve2

mrhhome, I was in Leesburg, Virginia in August and visited the site of the first Methodist church established in the USA (I cannot remember the exact year it was established but sometime around the 1760s from memory). My maternal grandparents were Methodists and married in that church in the early 1920s but - sadly - converted to the Bible Students (as the JWs were known before 1931) in the mid-1920s.

• jam
    jam

My brother on the board of trustees in his church. At a family gathering

I overheard a conversation between he and my sister that is also an

member. My brother," we agreed to write a check to sister so and so (in desperate need)

to pay for her mortgage and food for the kids". My sister had inform the

trustees of the woman plight. I ask him about the funds given to the woman.

We have funds set up just for those in the church,sometimes people need

a helping hand.

• elfgoblin
    elfgoblin

Absolutely spot on! If this would have happened at a Kingdom Hall, the elders would be judging instead of helping! I'm happy that this women has recovered and us back at her church! Now what you did to help her is really what it's all about!

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Know what the Elder's would say to a woman like that?

3.) Jehovah God doesn't approve of a divorcing, so go back to your (abusive) husband and be a good Witness. Maybe he'll convert?

2.) Go forth, be warm and well fed!

1.) No worries, Jehovah provides! Just study all the literature, attend all the meetings, pray harder, and be regular in the Field Ministry.

Tell me I'm wrong?

- Wing Commander

• Watkins
    Watkins

Jws would start a 'Bible wt book study' with her - that's all she really needs from their point of view - it fixes everything to "be brought in line with The Truth"!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit