Quail sammiches

by LucidChimp 8 Replies latest watchtower bible

• LucidChimp
    LucidChimp

Something that used to bother me back when I cared what was written in the bible (nobody's perfect) was the glaring difference between what jesus is supposed to have said in Luke 11 -- Which of you if your son asks for a fish will give him a serpent, or an egg give him a scorpion...

And Numbers 11 where Israel cries out for meat (ungratefully or not) and jehovah sends them meat... And promptly kills them before the first munch is munched, for trying to eat what he provided when asked to.

To me the sneakiest machination of god here (satan learned from the master I guess) is that the only other time he sent them quail was the night before he sent them manna for the first time... Give the people a taste for lovely roast quail sammiches on skybread panini, wait until they run out of sammich filler and then POW!!

"Trap sprung suckers. Choke on my almighty caprice and pray for the days when I won't answer prayers any more!"

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

And if he sent enough quails for three million people to gorge on, then y haven't archaeologists found a huge ancient midden heap of quail bones in the Sinai peninsula?

• tornapart
    tornapart

I see it as more of a case of the Israelites not really understanding what they were asking for. They wanted meat; they got it.

Quails migrate in huge numbers and because of their body shape they use the wind to help them. Unfortuantely meat doesn't keep in the heat if not prepared properly.

Can you imagine what would happen to meat collected and stored after a few days? Food poisoning I guess.

Was God involved? The bible says so. However, natural phenomenon could easily cause this to happen with the blame being laid at God's feet, so to speak.

• LucidChimp
    LucidChimp

Julia: bloody good point. The quail were apparently about 2 foot deep around the entire camp for a day's walk in any direction... That's a lotta flaimin' quail.

tornapart: If they "wanted meat" and then they "got it", how did they not understand what they were asking for? And the bible says that before they could even eat any they were struck down by jehovah, so food poisoning days later is out of the question here. Also, I credit a people fit to survive in the desert with better sense than to eat rotten meat... Even if I believed that tonnes of dead quail could float quite that well.

The account makes no sense. Unless god is a petty, meanspirited toerag... When one of the kids I know is being an ungreatful brat and asking for something they don't need - I deny them what was asked for, I don't poison it and then hand it over with a loving smile.

• zombie dub
    zombie dub

That's cos the old testament god aka YHWH aka yaweh (now called Jehovah), is the same character as Satan aka the Devil - so yea, he was just being evil - completely in character.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

i think that verse 31 may indicate that they flew low and were easy to catch.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The quail were apparently about 2 foot deep around the entire camp for a day's walk in any direction... That's a lotta flaimin' quail..

..........................................Heat..Dead Birds..Bird Shit..

...................................Bacteria Doubles every 20 minutes..

........................................................................................................................................ photo mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

• Glander
    Glander

I have taken quail as game. It is very tedious to dress. If you breach the delicate intestine and the stuff gets out, you might as well throw it away. A quail has about as much meat on it as one chicken leg.

Another example of Biblical exaggeration. Don't think they were knee deep in quail for a days walk in any direction.

Think of the OT as the original Harry Potter fiction.

• prologos
    prologos

The problem is these birds were not bled, the law covenant already in force.

was once on florida's west coast during a bivalve dieoff.

even the hungry seagulls were disgusted. stay upwind.

use the no blood doctrine for an excuse.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit