Trying to sweep the dirt under the rug

by runForever 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• runForever
    runForever

Looks like they're trying to transition from john 17:3 old new world translation to new new world revised gray sword bibles john 17:3 from:

"their taking in knowledge of you" to "knowing you".

Looks like it will be a new feature column, here it is in January 1st 2014 WT:

"

Bible Questions Answered

What do you know about God? How can we learn to know him better?

"

see that???!!!1!

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

I think the real greek words translated are really that they may know you. But what motivation could they have to change that back? Earlier the WT org would publish extensive so called interpretations of deep prophecies and such, applying the whole bible to themselves. So they preached that those deep explanations of how giving a talk fulfilled an entire page of revelation prophecy in the bible was 'taking in knowledge'.

Now they've stopped publishing deep interpretations since they have no idea what they mean and don't want them to bite them in the behind. So since every article and teaching now is 95% "obey the GB", "Do service", "Obey the GB", "do service", "trust in the GB", etc, in every possible way to change around words to say the same thing, the sheeple might start thinking they aren't 'taking in new knowledge'. This becomes a problem when they start to study the bible independently to take in the knowledge.

So.....to fit the current practice and doctrines, they saw it would better fit to change it back to the original wording. Now they can say, you don't need to study, etc, you just need to KNOW Jehovah/Jesus and obey the GB.

• adamah
    adamah

It's actually changed from "their taking in knowledge of you" to "their coming to know you".

Both phrases convey the sense of "knowing" (gnosis), but "taking in knowledge" is a bit awkward and robotic-sounding, whereas "coming to know you" is much more personal, as if making new friendsies.

(Am I the only one who hears Julie Andrews singing, "Getting to know you, getting to know all about you")?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MNANgFCYpk

The WTBTS is seemingly trying to personalize Jehovah, so members will identify more strongly with him. Fits in perfectly with the overall goal of Bible translators needing to update God for the times, so the Bible doesn't come off the ancient document that it really is, always trying to hide the many wrinkles and liver spots.

Adam

• runForever
    runForever

Adam as a 30+ year JW I beg to differ. Taking in knowledge of somebody is completely different than knowing someone and that was how that scripture was

used in the "knowledge" book. How many times did we use that scripture to tell someone they need knowledge to have everlasting life?? Have you forgot?

• Honesty
    Honesty

Adamah, where have you been for the past 25 years?

Read the following paragraphs in the Live Forever book:

Page 15 paragraph 19

Page 23 paragraph 22

Page 128 paragraph 5

Page 218 paragraph 4

• Bob_NC
    Bob_NC

This semantic change is not going to work for them. All my JW days we took householders straight to John 17:3 to impress upon them the need to "take in accurate knowledge of God" and I have a study publication specially for the purpose of taking in knowledge.

I was one of many ticked off when I found out the meaning of John 17:3 is knowing God, not constantly studying.

• Loveyourneighbor
    Loveyourneighbor

Adamah ...I couldn't get that song out of my head for days after I seen the change. Lol..

And what about the scripture that talks about the demons knowing and believing??..

• Listener
    Listener

Does that mean they will do away with the numerous pre baptism questions?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit