Pew Research Center: only 32% of American Jews think of Judaism as their religion

by adamah 2 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• adamah
    adamah

As the title says, in a newly-released Pew Research Center survey of american Jews, only 32% of American Jews think of Judaism as their religion. Fifty years ago, the figure was close to 70%.

One-in-five Jews (22%) now describe themselves as having no religion.

The Pew study also found that 71% of younger Jews are "marrying out", whereas before 1970, the number of Jews who'd marry a non-Jew was 17%.

Possibly of more interests to ex-JWs (where JWs are notorious wanna-be Jews): twice as many white evangelical Protestants as Jews say that Israel was given to the Jewish people by God (82% vs. 40%).

Adam

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I am not surprised. It seems only some of the Conservative, the Orthodox, and Hasidim identify their affiliation as a religion. Judaism has become an ethnicity.

The New York Times covered its Holocaust coverage and revealed some interesting truths about American Jewry during WWII. The report found that the NYT reporters dutifully reported the actual conditions in the camps. Their existence was well-known to regular Times readers. The publisher, an American Jew, dictated that no front page coverage take place. The paper was American focused then. He believed that American Jews' first loyalty was to America and that Eastern Europe did not matter. Since there was no jolting and dramatic front page expose, no political pressure built.

I'm not certain whether I identify myself as Christian in religious terms to the exclusion of any other religion. Perhaps many main stream Protestants are the same. I respect the culture in which I was born. Were I born in another culture, I doubt I would be Christian. It becomes extremely difficult to answer these questions with candor. Life is more nuanced.

Strong Jewish identity does seem to exist which makes sense. I believe there were revealing numbers relating to interfaith marriages, too.

• designs
    designs

More American Jews are interested in modern progressive ideas and living in the here and now. They take the stories in the Bible like Noah and the Ark etc. as folk tales handed down over centuries. They embrace science and education over cultural myths.

The Jewish Enlightenment- the Haskalah, grew in step with the Industrial Revolution. Feudalism was no longer economically viable. The Democratic insurgency saw thinkers like Voltaire, Locke, Montaigne emerge.

Modern Jewish schools began to appear in Europe. Once ignited the Jewish Enlightenment quickly spread throughout Europe and Russia.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit