An Interesting Thing Happened at the Meeting Yesterday...

by PaintedToeNail 9 Replies latest jw friends

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

This was reported to me by an attendee: During the Watchtower, a brother commented that "We shouldn't question things that we don't have the full facts about, such as WHY is it so expensive to have an Assembly at the Grantville Assembly Hall? It would be far cheaper to rent our own space to have an assembly than it is to use Grantville. We don't have all the facts so we don't know the reasons why and it isn't our place to question".

What a way to put that nugget of information to the entire congregation, framed as an innocent statement! I wonder how many sitting in attendance ever thought about the high cost of utilizing the Ass. Hall in that context before, a worldly venue would be cheaper....

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

I loath Grantville. How many long summer weekends of the 1980's and early 1990's did I spend wasting away in that dreary mortuary, instead of watching cartoons or playing happily outside? Too many to recall, and all for "Old Light" that doesn't mean jack shit today. Do you remember the orange carpeting? Are you old enough to remember the piano and a lady actually playing it? How about food service? The food was the only good part, but my parents were always too cheap to eat there so packed their own crap and ruined it. I take that back, I sometimes had bag of fruit, a pudding, a danish, and a Shasta. GAG. Ohh...Ohh!! How about that neat baptismal pool? It has the nature scene and the frogs with water spitting out their mouthes and my memory is so good that I can recall the SMELL of that water and also the iron of the railing around it. Both my parents and grandmother were baptized in that very pool in 1982 or 1983. I still have they pictures of them being dunked, except now they (much like the older generations) have passed away and I'm 34 years old. It wasn't the same after they remodeled it - it's now WORSE.

Why do they continue to make the R&F pay for a building that's 40 years old, and has been paid for many times over? Easy, it's a money-grubbing CULT.

- Wing Commander

• LogCon
    LogCon

m

• steve2
    steve2

We don't have all the facts so we don't know the reasons why and it isn't our place to question".

We know exactly what the Witnesses would say in response to these sorts of comments if they were uttered by members of the churches of Christendom!

Witnesses are little short of hypocrites in their willingness to go along with this sort of lazy reasoning when it comes to their own organization but would slam members of churches who exhibit the very same mental laziness.

• factfinder
    factfinder

I was baptized at the Grantville Assembly Hall in 1978. That was the only time I was there as were were usually assigned to Buckingham.

I don't recall much about that assembly hall.

I used to love the food we got back then however and it did not cost much, most items were just 10 or twenty cents (tickets)- pudding, danish, fruit bags, small subs (ended up being $1), fruit bags.

There was fresh made cakes, pies, steak sandwiches, fries!

• designs
    designs

Knuckle ball right over the plate

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

I thought it was interesting that this brother introduced something so unrelated to the Watchtower Study, almost as if he planned to plant a seed of doubt and questioning at the KH.

• Zoos
    Zoos

<--- Taking bets that this guy will be in the library answering uncomfortable questions by the end of the week.

• Slayerbard
    Slayerbard

I hated that hall too. I remember the talks about the "corodor cutties and coridor cruisers" and it made me feel guilty to go to the bathroom. I have dunked there too.. for what 10 minutes my parents were proud of me.. then went back to the normal belittling jerks they are. Only it was WORSE then. I remember once I did the math for how much the cult raked in just with assembly halls world wide. I was a CRAZY number.

Last few times I went something was wrong with the water that you couldnt use the water fountains. I forget what. But I remember thinking it was odd that it was still bad 6 months later. lol

I think the rides home were the worse, my parents made it a point to everything the meeting said I was doing wrong and berate me the whole ride home. Nothing but yelling. I learned to take my walkman along and listen to music so I didnt' have to listen to it.

Don't miss it for anything.

• prologos
    prologos

yesterday's meeting, on a historic date:

13 10 20 13 -- will not happen again until 14 10 20 14 ,

well into the time of the end.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit