Are people really over Authoritarianism?

by MissConfused 7 Replies latest jw experiences

• MissConfused
    MissConfused

It was couple of interesting weeks for us. We were visited by some good friends from Org. and ended up discussing lengths and breadths about all Org misses in the past. Of all the topics we discussed, the only thing that they kept on asking us was - if this is not the best, which is? What did Jesus mean when he comanded to make disciples? How can you worship jehovah and be spiritual without someone directing it? While one of them was making a lot more sense by accepting mistakes that Borg did and that they are improving (with new bible and all), the others were basically telling us that Satan is trying hard to get us away from Jehovah's people (A BIG DUH!). Also that Disfellowshipping was a LOVING experience for many who have been re-instated have accepted that this was the best orgnization and elders were very considerate during the Dfing business. Also People who quit this org either end up being Agnostics or Atheists (Basically no other org / religion can be on par with the high standards set by Jdub Org).

End of the discussion they concluded by telling to take the best teachings, leave the rest (crappy blood transfusions etc) stuff for later to be decided upon as and when we reach that stage in life when we have to choose family or religion.... And surprisingly everyone agreed as they said family comes first. This left me thinking, are we heading towards having a liberal view (due to the ones in the current generation) and moving away from Authoritarian views from the 50s, 60s, 70s? Any thoughts?

• bsmart
    bsmart

My opinion, Not likely.

Unless the elder selection process is actually changed to get people who can think instead of follow directives to the letter, I don't see a lot of change in the future.

• MissConfused
    MissConfused

Yeah true... They need to be lot more transparent.. I am refering to the Not So Great Crowd... They are getting quite liberal n choose to follow only what they like too...

• MissConfused
    MissConfused

Yeah true... They need to be lot more transparent.. I am refering to the Not So Great Crowd... They are getting quite liberal n choose to follow only what they like too...

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

I think it's just your friends. They sound like reasonable people who can discuss these things without turning into raving fanatics. Raving fanatics has been my recent experience.

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Just be a bit careful in case they tell the elders about your liberal views.Remember in this religion, people are told to report to the organization anyone who disagrees with the religion. So out of loyalty to the org some might report your view points.

Bangalore

• designs
    designs

As long as this religion holds to the idea of a literal devil there is little hope they will become liberal or openminded.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

By now, the WTS has become - by design - immune to any liberalizing influences.

Rutherford started the Org down the authoritarian-high-control-group path, and Jaracz hammered it home; virtually all the intellectuals, creative types, and outside-the-box thinkers (crucial personalities for those kind of changes) were pretty much purged from the heirarchy during his iron-fisted reign.

Any progressive reform at this point, and they'd arguably no longer be JWs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit