REVISED NWT IS TRUTHFUL!

by The Searcher 7 Replies latest watchtower bible

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Well, in one verse at least!!

Ephesians 1:15 - "That is why I also, since I have heard of the faith you have in in the Lord Jesus and the love that you demonstrate for the holy ones..."

Do I hear you all shouting ' So what'? Well look at how it has been corruptly worded for more than 60 years in the original NWT:

Ephesians 1:15 - " That is why I also, since I have heard of the faith YOU have in the Lord Jesus and toward all the holy ones.."

So for more than 60 years, Witnesses believed that the Ephesians had faith in the holy ones!!

Remind me again - what was the reason the original NWT committee wanted to remain anonymous? Can I guess?

It will be interesting to discover other little perverted verses during the next 12-16 weeks, while we have to read our old versions as we listen to the privileged ones reading from the RNWT. (here in UK anyway, according to Branch letter read out tonight) )

• lambsbottom
    lambsbottom

Hey Searcher,

Where you located (what state)? PM me.

• moggy lover
    moggy lover

It appears to be a textual problem.

The 1984 NWT edition was strictly following the WH text here where the expression "your Love" is missing. The later UBS text based on older and better mss does include this expression.

Hence the NWT Revisers whoever they are, discarded the WH text here and opted for the UBS reading instead.

This raises the interesting point of where else this has been done, and how much reliance has been placed in the UBS over the WH text.

• cofty
    cofty

Good background moggy thanks.

I really think people are too ready to see malice instead of incompetence or clumsiness.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Searcher:

It turns out that there are a mixture of textual readings. Three variations at least.

Concerning the reading that the NWT is based on and is also in the KIT, Ephesians - An Exegetical Commentary (Harold W. Hoehner, p. 249) has this to say in a footnote:

[This] reading has good Alexandrian tradition but it is limited to that text-type in both the uncials and miniscules and may well have been a result of a transcription accident (Metzger, Texual Commentary, 2nd ed., 533; cf. also Ian A. Moir, "A Mini-Guide to New Testament Criticism," BT 36 [January 1985]: 122-29). Also, internally this reading is without precedent for it would mean that Paul had heard about their "faith [exercised] toward the saints." Souter tries to get around this by translating it "faith among the saints" (Alex. Souter, "An Interpretation of Eph 1:15," ExpTim 19 [October 1907]: 44). But this is really strained to say the least.

[End of Quote]

A search of the WT Library only results in one reference to this verse. (w74 p. 16) And the reference doesn't capitalize on the idea of 'having faith in the holy ones.' Which is kind of surprising since the WT views "the holy ones" (i.e. "anointed Christians") as a super sub group within Christianity.

All the same, good find. And glad to see they corrected it. The USB3 text has "kai tnv agapnv tnv eis pantas tous hagious" ("and the love the for all the holy ones")

On the other hand, try saying you don't "have faith" in the GB and see what happens.

Take Care

Edited to add:

The Reference Bible has no footnote concerning the variations. There is a cross reference to Colossians 1:4.

• L3G
    L3G

Thanks for this share, and for your earlier comment on the slight change in that ever-so-poular text Prov. 4:18. I also noticed how they have put the Proverbs (and part of Eccl.) in stanzas like they previously did with the Psalms and Job, no doubt finally showing that this is all poetry.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Thanks BOBCAT for your very welcome added research.

• rubbeng
    rubbeng

marked

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit