Family Traditions, have you started new ones since leaving the jw's ?

by man in black 5 Replies latest jw friends

• man in black
    man in black

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/10/09/creating-a-positive-family-culture-the-importance-of-establishing-family-traditions/

Raising two boys in the jw religion, family traditions that were passed down from generation to generation were thrown away because they were attached to a holiday, birthday, or some other "forbidden" thing.

Traditions associated with assembies, book studies, etc, were nice, but they never seemed quite genuine to me.

Eventually the boys grew up, and learned how to make their own decisions.

But still after all these years, my wife and I still feel a certain amount of pain because of what they missed.

And now with both of them in their 20's, starting from scratch with passed down, heartfelt family traditions,,, this is a really neat experience.

The above article talks about how important traditions are for helping develop family togetherness.

How do you feel about developing traditions with your family now that the influence of the wt society is no longer hanging over your head ?

• Frequent_Fader_Miles
    Frequent_Fader_Miles

My tradition is going wherever I want, whenever I feel like. No worries about "meeting nights" anymore.

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

I'm actually working on that. It's just my teen and me that are "out", so we did a trip for her "first" birthday and are now reconnecting with extended non-jw family we never knew growing up. They are very welcoming, but we all live spread out around the U.S., so not sure what to do about holidays Yet.

I would like to start having parties again...that's the one thing I miss...working on it with new friends, but it would be nice to meet up with some ex-JW's that are not bitter, just moving on, and start something during holiday season for those that may be displaced.

• designs
    designs

My grandson's Birthdays, he'll be 5 this month and my daughter is throwing a Big Party!

• cult classic
    cult classic

We celebrate the holidays and bdays and the kids LOVE it! More importantly, we are not so tired from theocratic activities that we forget to be a real family and have real life experiences.

• clarity
    clarity

Man in black ... hey nice to see you on here!

You signed on about 6 mths before me ...so I miss

seeing your 'face'

>

As for starting traditions .... I am sorry I ever stopped

marking the year with special days...they were important.

>

Too late for the kids now, but am looking ahead to having

a 'modified' xmas, maybe invite neighbors in for a drink &

a chat. Xmas dinner with friends & whoever is still around.

>

Soon a big birthday bash ...I hope!

clarity

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit