Celebrating Holidays Should Be a "Conscience Matter"

by Wild_Thing 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

The Witnesses seem to LOVE to make things a "conscience matter" and then just shame people into doing whatever it is they want them to do anyway. So, why haven't they done this with the holidays? There are plenty of scriptures in their own bible they could use to justify making it a conscience matter, yet the last I knew, celebrating Christmas was still a disfellowshipping offense.

Here's the proof. Have any of you vocal "apostates" pointed these out to your JW counterparts? I wonder what they would say?

Romans 14:5-6 (NWT)
    5 One man judges one day as above another;+ another judges one day the same as all others;+ let each one be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 The one who observes the day observes it to Jehovah.* Also, the one who eats, eats to Jehovah,* for he gives thanks to God;+ and the one who does not eat does not eat to Jehovah,* and yet gives thanks to God.
    The NRSV of the same scripture says:
    5 Some judge one day to be better than another, while others judge all days to be alike. Let all be fully convinced in their own minds. 6 Those who observe the day, observe it in honor of the Lord. Also those who eat, eat in honor of the Lord, since they give thanks to God; while those who abstain, abstain in honor of the Lord and give thanks to God.
    Colossians 2:16 (NWT):
    16 Therefore, do not let anyone judge you about what you eat and drink+ or about the observance of a festival or of the new moon+ or of a sabbath.
    Psalms 81:3 (NWT)
    3 Blow the horn on the new moon,
    On the full moon, for the day of our festival.

If anything has pagan roots, celebrating the sun and moon cycles definitely has, but evidently they had no problem with it back then!

It seems pretty cut and dry to me, but I know for every scripture they are shown that says "don't judge me" they have another to judge anyway.

• millie210
    millie210

I think the whole deal with the holidays was just to stand out as different from every other religion.

There are too many levels of celebrating that goes on in the average JW family for the stand to be considered a stellar one anyhow.

Most JWs celebrate some version of Thanksgiving. Its common to at least mention one anothers birthdays and NO one turns down their Christmas bonus!

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog
    Christmas isn't a disfellowshipping offense, and neither is taking blood. They are, however, viewed as acts of disassociation, no committee required. Besides blatant ones like Xmas and Halloween, many holidays actually are conscience matters, including Thanksgiving and others . . . but you will be looked at suspiciously.
  • Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    And don't forget the book of Job where is kids celebrated some king of holiday.
  • Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing
    neat blue dog41 minutes ago
    Christmas isn't a disfellowshipping offense, and neither is taking blood. They are, however, viewed as acts of disassociation, no committee required. Besides blatant ones like Xmas and Halloween, many holidays actually are conscience matters, including Thanksgiving and others . . . but you will be looked at suspiciously.

Then, that is a change. My grandmother was disfellowshipped for celebrating Christmas 35-40 years ago.

And I'm not too sure most elders would say that celebrating Christmas or Halloween is a conscience matter ... especially Halloween. I can see more liberal JWs agreeing that Thanksgiving might be a conscience matter, but not most.

• clarity
    clarity

The whole point for Rutherfords condemnation of any holiday, is control! To keep the rank& file from associating with non jw family. Celebrating xmas or thanksgiving dinner with our 'folks' would be too enjoyable ...we might choose family over watchtower. Our family would eventually wake us up!

• MinisterAmos
  • CloseTheDoor
    CloseTheDoor
    Wild_Thing I have pointed some of these passages out to Witnesses before, but most either said "Interesting," and thought nothing more about it, or the others rolled their eyes in confusion and really didn't care.

My family is active in the congregation, but we also celebrate various holidays (and Biblical Holy Days), including Memorial (Passover). Although, for obvious reasons, we do so in private. But we have always celebrated Thanksgiving openly and have invited some brothers over for dinner. Nothing was ever said about it. I know many Witnesses that do the same.

A couple of years ago, I knew an elder that lost his privs in another congregation for attending a Christmas party. I have heard of some being DF'd for it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit