Comprehensive NWT Comparison Project (calling all technically skilled members)

by Apognophos 223 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Thanks. I'll be playing around with this over the next few days to see what works in terms of comparison and presentation.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The hard work of all of you involved in this is very much appreciated. Thanks.

• castthefirststone
    castthefirststone

Wow MeanMrMustard, thank you for figuring this out even though in the end you didn't need it.

I was in the process of injecting my own code into the jwlibrary apk (BibleDef.smali) to write the chapters to file and then importing that into a db but glad that that is no longer necessary.

As you said it makes no sense that these clowns encrypted and then zipped the data. It was all futile because the key has to be in the app somewhere.

Anyway I'm very happy that due to your efforts we finally we have the ability to compare exactly what was changed and then try to figure out which changes are significant and also speculate on the reasons behind the changes. Fun apostate days ahead

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

@castthefirststone,

I think I am going to stick with my theory (for now), that the encryption/zipping scheme is just a way for them to pretend MEPS is still important....

MMM

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

Apognophos,

Thanks. I'll be playing around with this over the next few days to see what works in terms of comparison and presentation.

Sounds good to me. Let me know if you have any insights. I wasn't able to do any diff work over the weekend - too much to do here at home. But perhaps a little more tonight :).

Again, if anyone else wants to fuss with the files, it's all good.

MMM

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

Update:

Several people have PMed me to ask for the output for this project. Just let me know that you want the text dump of the two bibles and I'll send you a sendspace link. I don't want to put the link directly on this page because it does contain the entire copy of the 1984 and 2013 NWT. That being said, another user PMed me asking if it would be possible to get the scriptures in a single file so that the NWT can be loaded into BibleWorks:

Version Database Compiler
    http://www.bibleworks.com/bw9help/bwh37_VDC.htm

Text Comparison
    http://www.bibleworks.com/classroom/4_05/index.html

I don't use BibleWorks all that much, but it looks like it could be used as a comparison tool as well. So, I produced a copy of each NWT in a single file, each verse 1 line, with the line starting with book, chapter, and verse. I'll let the user that asked me for it come forward, but he/she did some further work to the text files to get BibleWorks to import without any issue. That user offered to provide the file for anyone else who might want it for BibleWorks. As for me, I still have links for the NWT broken down 1 verse - 1 file, or 1 file for the entire Bible.

Now.. onto some fun stuff. I started fussing with google-match-patch. I was able to get word-level implemented, with just a few glitches. Sometimes the defintion of a "word" can be tougher than one might think. But here is a preview of what comes out of it. This is for Genesis 1:2:

Here is what Esther 8:9 looks like:

As you can see... it is a little off, but close! I also diffed the entire DB, and produced the diff HTML. I will throw together a recport soon to just dump this out to one big PDF file. I'll share that around too.

MMM

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

Apognophos,

It is getting close... soon we will have to figure out how to detect important changes :)

MMM

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

You guys are awesome, much appreciated

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

Apognophos,

You around? I believe I have the google-diff-match-patch working exactly how I want.

MMM

• zound
    zound

Wow, that's very impressive. Excellent job!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit