Kingdomhalls taking panera bread for 'charitable work' for themselves.......

by EndofMysteries 3 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

A kingdomhall near me consistantly is getting stocked w/ day old panera bread, loaves of bread, muffins, etc. They all sit in the back room for anyone in the hall to grab all they want. An elder told me they give them to charities so that's how they get it.

It sort of disgusted me that on Panera's side it's supposed to be going to the poor and distributed from charities and the KH just takes it for themselves.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

You should lodge a complaint with the HQ of the company. I at one point worked for a large bread supplier (truck delivery) and for legal and commercial reasons we weren't allowed to distribute bread or pastries to friends, family or local charities. We had to throw it all out in large dumpsters. I knew 'piosneers' would do it anyway (which is how I got the job, because JW's are soooo trustworthy and honest). The fact was that JW piosneers would work happily overnight for minimal wage so they could preach during the day and thus they got hired (yours truly included).

Just imagine someone getting sick because the bread had molded or has vermin or insects in it. When I did the delivery I saw cockroaches, ants, wasps, mice would feast on bread and pastries left overnight in some supermarkets. Especially ants are horrible and infestations develop FAST (all it needs is a trail of sugary crums).

Also for tax reasons, companies can't just give away stuff for free (it's really hard to get rid of anything that has ANY value). My take is that they have a rogue delivery driver or a dishonest employee and the elder is talking out of his neck. Also, even if they are on the up-and-up with the company, the KH if they are distributing food as a charity may be required to conform to local health regulations (just as eg. soup kitchens).

• scary21
    scary21

The Mission Mart thrift store here in town gets Panera Bread too. Customers take what they want as they leave the store. Not all customers are or look poor. LOL There is a food bank right next door so they get some too I'm sure.

Buy something at the store and get free bread.......

Also, back in MI, there is a Panera Bread you can go to and pay what ever you can afford. Order what you want and pay 1.. 3... 5 $ even 25 cents.

I wonder how many JW's go there ?

• Zoos
    Zoos

Anony Mous, I thought bread had a shelf life of at least two or three days (without preservatives).

I used to do volunteer work for an inner city food bank before becoming a JW and they always had day old... sometimes a few days old bread in the hopper. Unless you have an active pest problem, older bread is not, by definition, bad.

I'm sure there are some lower income families benefiting from the Panera bread at the KH. But syphoning charitable donations for your own private club is in poor taste. That bread needs to go to an organization that distributes SPECIFICALLY to those in need.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit