Kindness and Jehovah's People™

by laverite 3 Replies latest jw friends

• laverite
    laverite

I came across the following quote the other day and it has stuck a chord with me. Jehovah's People TM spend their lives "pondering the human predicament" (how bad it is, how the world is about to end). How meaningless all of their efforts and "ponderings" are. If only they'd focus on demonstrating loving kindness toward their families and each other. Unfortunately, all the nitpicky man-made rules, back-stabbing, resentment, jealousy, self-promotion, gossip, deceipt, lying (in the name of Theocratic warefare TM ), anger/fear/hate toward those who no longer believe as they do and the inhumane shunning of DFd and DAd ones, not to mention death policies (blood policy, etc.) do not allow for much real kindness. It has struck me just how unkind the Jehovah's Witness really is, both to those inside as well as those outside.

It all comes down to kindness in how we live our lives. The JWs are spinning their wheels "pondering" the human predicament as they do so endlessly. Their ponderings do not translate into any real benefit for others, just "witnessing."

Perhaps you, too, will find some meaning in the following words:

It’s rather embarrassing to have given one’s entire life

to pondering the human predicament

and to find that in the end one has little more to say than,

‘Try to be a little kinder.‘

Aldous Huxley (1894 – 1963)

Source: Tales of Wonder: Adventures Chasing the Divine, an Autobiography

• jgnat
    jgnat

That's what happens in a rules-based religion. Someone busy trying to outdo himself in "goodness" is at risk of forgetting his neighbour.

• laverite
    laverite

And the goodness isn't even good. It's just all about legalistic mumbo jumbo and "busy work" that benefits no one: walking as slowly as possible from door to door when you know no one is even home to answer...Standing at the door waiting as long as possible before walking slowly to the next house.

• jgnat
    jgnat

People perform according to how they are measured. In this case, it's "time".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit