Question About Annual Meeting

by turtleturtle 4 Replies latest watchtower bible

• turtleturtle
    turtleturtle

2 Corinthians 13:5

Test yourselves to see if you are in the faith; examine yourselves! Or do you not recognize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you—unless indeed you [a] fail the test?

At the annual meeting, one of the GB said that this scripture does NOT mean to test the "religion" you are in is the right one. He said it means to make sure you are IN the religion.

Can someone help me blow away this stretched argument. Obviously, the word "religion" isn't in the Bible. The first century Christians only knew themselves as Christians.

• prologos
    prologos

emphasizing these words:

test --YOURSELVES-- to see if you are in -- THE-- faith , examine --YOURSELVES!

would certainly imply personal analitical testing, examination of one's denomination teachings, or history, or conduct

as it influences ones relationship to Jesus Christ

a step away from the "Jehovah emphasis" of WT writers.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I have not examined this, but my gut tells me that, just this time, the exegesis may be about right.

However, the reference to the Beroeans in Acts, without doubt, encourages full examination, by reading what the Scripture actually say, of the things told by men. To see if such things are "really so".

• prologos
    prologos

If you are like a Beorean, you are more, most NOBLE;

only very few JWs aspire to that kind of Nobility.

Of course the Beoreans did the examining before they got cought up in The WAY and left Judaism for the Christiani freedom

being noble today will help exit for freedom too.

• caliber
    caliber
    John 17:3

King James Version (KJV)

3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

would certainly imply personal analitical testing, examination of one's denomination teachings, or history, or conduct

as it influences ones relationship to Jesus Christ

One of the striking things about new Christians is that they invariably begin to manifest a totally different attitude toward things they once thought were appropriate. In some of the more blatant forms of evil, such as attitudes about lying or drunkenness or stealing, they find immediately that their attitude is changed.

You may be asking, How can I know that? The answer is found in several places in Scripture. For instance, Scripture speaks of an inner witness. In Romans Paul says, The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children (Romans 8:16).

There had to be outer caution & testing too , involving others , within the congregation ,else scriptures like these would not appear..

For certain persons have crept in unnoticed, those who were long beforehand marked out for this condemnation, ungodly persons who turn the grace of our God into licentiousness and deny our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ,~~~ jude 4

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit