Trinity quote....who remembers?

by miner 5 Replies latest jw friends

• miner
    miner

I'm hoping someone here can help me out. I am involved in an on-going study with a Jehovah's Witness and our current topic of discussion is whether or not Trinity is a biblical doctrine. I seem to vaguely remember a WT quote where if people study the Bible alone, they end up believing this trinity idea....did I dream this one up?
    I know Russell said that without Scripture Studies, studying the Bible alone, one goes into darkness.
    Also, the 08/15/81 Watchtower says reading the Bible exclusively causes people to revert right back to apostate doctrines that commentaries by Christendom's clergy were teaching 100 years ago (presumably Trinity).
    Does anyone know of another WT quote, acknowledging the trinity concept in the Bible?

• U.2.K.
    U.2.K.

Some advice, I would'nt it discuss Subject's on the trinity, cause it's not a bible teaching, and it's/kinda/like satan's work

• freeman
    freeman

FYI the trinity doctrine is not specifically a biblical doctrine. It is more or less a doctrine that evolved as Christians pondered the nature of God. Early on, the new church had the idea that Jesus was more then just a man. In fact, if you recall, the Apostle Tomas called him “My Lord and my God”, or more correctly translated, “The Lord of me and the God of me”. So at the very least, one Apostle thought he was God. And when he said that, Jesus did not correct him. A very powerful scriptural witness I would say. And please don’t fall for the BS JW excuse that Tomas was just shocked and excited that he said “Oh My God!” like the expression that is commonly used today. (I used this BS explanation in field service once, and I new I was full of it even back then). Also consider that during the first century, when Tomas said this, saying such a thing as a Jew would have been considered blasphemes to say the least if it were not true.

Writings by early church Elders, some of them hand picked direct disciples taught by the Apostles, equate Jesus with God Almighty in no uncertain terms.
    Again, a powerful witness.

Gradually the Holy Spirit also comes into play as indicated by these writings. So yes it would be correct to say there is no specific doctrine of the trinity in the Bible, but it is also true that all the elements of the trinity are there (Father Son Holy Spirit etc.).

And yes reading the Bible alone, as the Watchtower society correctly pointed out, would lead one to form conclusions that are part of what we call mainstream Christianity, including the idea of the trinity or at the very least that Christ was much more then just an angel as the Watchtower society presents him. On the other hand, no person ever adopts the beliefs of the Watchtower Society by reading the Bible alone, never. I hope this info helps.

Freeman

• LucidSky
    LucidSky

miner - I cannot recall anything like that, except the Russell remark you mentioned. True or not, my advice is to avoid discussing the Trinity. Stick with something that erodes their exclusivity status. The quotes page at the bottom might help or Randy Watters' "Thus Sayeth the Governing Body".

• Bang
    Bang

I used this BS explanation in field service once, and I new I was full of it even back then

How do you feel about that?

Bang

• freeman
    freeman

Bang: How do I feel about it? Not good I guess, but that was then. In hindsight, I knew I was full of it because my own Bullshit detector was going off loud and clear. To make matters worse, I was telling all this to a Lutheran minister, someone well versed in Greek (college level) and I was trying to tell him it was a bad translation, and that what Thomas was quoted as saying was not the real meaning of it. He said to me, and I quote him verbatim “Get behind me Satan”. Now I understand, and he was 100% correct for saying that.

Freeman

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit