Pharaoh Shoshenk I

by George 9 Replies latest watchtower bible

• George
    George

History records that Pharaoh Hedjkheperre Shoshenk I embarked on a campaign into Palestine sometime during his twenty-one year reign as pharaoh of Egypt. His relief, at Karnak, lists the names of the cities and towns captured during his campaign. His first strike was Gaza of Philistia, which included a secondary campaign into the Negev, south of Judah. He continued in a northerly route . . .

http://members.aol.com/gparrishjr/Shoshenk.html

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Ah, yes, I remember that movie "The Shoshenk Redemption" by Stephen King.

Sorry, George, but I just couldn't resist. :)

• George
    George

I spent a lot of time working on that article and you have to go and make fun of it!

• Seven
    Seven

George, Without reading your article, I assume you
    are speaking of the Victory relief of Pharaoh Sheshonk I[Shishak] at the Temple of Karnak. The god, Amun is depicted bringing the Pharaoh 156 manacled Palestinian prisoners who are attached to
    his left hand by cords. A prisoner was selected to represent every city or village. Some had Biblical names: the Father of Arad and the Field of Abraham.

Rhw-good one, that's the first thing I thought of too. lol

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

George, I wasn't making fun of your article....I simply have spent too much of my life being absolutely serious.....I don't intend to do that any longer. Sorry if you felt offended. I'll be good now. :(

• George
    George

The Sheshonk I/Shishak theory has been proven false. This was the not the point of the article; rather, it was to show that Sheshonk I came against Israel in the days of Jeroboam II, a contemporary with Uzziah, and not in the days of Rehoboam.

George

• Larsinger58
    Larsinger58
    The Sheshonk I/Shishak theory has been proven false. This was the not the point of the article; rather, it was to show that Sheshonk I came against Israel in the days of Jeroboam II, a contemporary with Uzziah, and not in the days of Rehoboam.

George

RC14 from Rehov now confirms Shishak's invasion in the 39th year of Solomon. Scientists have gotten better at getting short-lived grain samples that can be dated to within less than 10 years now. That's amazing. The sample linked with City IV of Rehov is dated c. 871 BCE. Shishak invaded while Solomon was still ruling in the 5th year of Rehoboam and thus very late in Solomon's year. When ascribed to year 39 of Solomon, 871 BCE dates his 4th year to 906 BCE and the Exodus to 1386 BCE. This is the confirmed Biblical date for the Exodus based on the 70th jubilee beginning with the final return of the Jews to Palestine on November 30, 1947. So Shishak's invasion matches the Bible chronology and history perfectly.

The popular dating of the Assyrian Period using the 763 BCE solar eclipse is incorrect. The true eclipse in reference is a predictable eclipse occurring in 709 BCE. This gives an absolute date for Shishak down from 925 BCE to 871 BCE, which is exactly where the confirmed RC14 dating from Rehov City IV's destruction is. So everything is confirmed. Persian-influenced Greek historians added 56 years of fake history to the Greek timeline which is why from the Assyrian Period back, popular dating is about a half century off. But RC14 is showing up this revision quite nicely. The Bible and Shishak's inscription are the same event during the end of the reign of Solomon.

LS58

• snowbird
    snowbird

Welcome back, Larsinger!

Syl

• Earnest
    Earnest

Larsinger,

You make a number of references to the accuracy of RC14. For example, you say

RC14 from Rehov now confirms Shishak's invasion in the 39th year of Solomon. Scientists have gotten better at getting short-lived grain samples that can be dated to within less than 10 years now. That's amazing. The sample linked with City IV of Rehov is dated c. 871 BCE.

Later you say

This gives an absolute date for Shishak down from 925 BCE to 871 BCE, which is exactly where the confirmed RC14 dating from Rehov City IV's destruction is. So everything is confirmed.

When you say that the sample linked with City IV of Rehov is dated about 871 BCE can you be a bit clearer what the calendrical precision is. When you say that RC14 dating can be within less than 10 years are you saying that the sample linked with City IV of Rehov is dated 871 BCE give or take 5 years? Since the recent article in Science (18 June 2010) entitled "Radiocarbon-Based Chronology for Dynastic Egypt" referred to a precision of no less than 25 years I wonder if you would share the source of your information.

Thank you.

• JWoods
    JWoods

You know what? I think I (for one) could have gone ANOTHER ten years without this little update...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit