Pew research study on religion

by Ignoranceisbliss 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Ignoranceisbliss
    Ignoranceisbliss

This is a really interesting study on religion that includes some info on witnesses. It's interesting that dubs have the highest percentage of non white members (64%). Also interesting that there are twice the number of Mormons than witnesses.

http://www.pewforum.org/2015/05/12/americas-changing-religious-landscape/

• ctrwtf
    ctrwtf
    12% increase in non-white members in 7 years. So then who is the message appealing to? Mostly third world countries with no internet access. (insert non racist disclaimer here)
  • cognisonance
    cognisonance

Interesting and thanks for posting. I remember their first study/survey 7 years ago.

I did some frequentest statistics (proportion hypothesis testing) for data that had sample size values. And all but the increase in non-white demographics are not statistically significant at the 5% level (meaning due to random sampling it's unlikely to tell us anything, like the percentage of men in 2014 being 35% compared to 40% in 2007 - it's very likely that the proportion of men have remained the same in the past 7 years, same goes for proportions of young, poor, and educated. Though at the 10% confidence level, the decrease in young people would be significant, so I suppose more data would be helpful to be more confidence in that finding).

Increase in non-white demographics: p=0.005744

Decrease in men: p=0.1619

Decrease in people aged 18-29: p=0.07628

Increase in those with college education: p=0.1077

Increase in those making less than $30,000: p=0.1431

If anyone wants to check my work, here is my code from R, and you can get the data from this pdf (for the proportion tests I took the percentages and multiplied them by the sample size and rounded, so there is some loss of accuracy in my tests as a resullt.

• pixel
    pixel

Interesting... This is what the GB/WT/FDS likes:

• cognisonance
    cognisonance

It's even worse when put in context of a comparison:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit