A message to JW's/x-JW's - who to trust?

by Dawn 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Dawn
    Dawn

This post is for any of you out there who have questions but have been afriad to search for answers outside of your organization/religion (this applies to any "christian" religion - not just JW's). As for the rest of you heathens - no response please (tee hee - just joshin' )

I have been DF'd for many years but really had no desire to go back to the bible until about 2 years ago. I had a number of questions, but the answers I got from my father (an elder) and the WT literature just didn't seem right. But I was really afraid to go searching anywhere else.

My father had warned me about the "man of lawlessness" in 2 Thess chapter 2 - he read to me

verse 10: They perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved.
    The JW's teach that the "man of lawlessness" from 2 Thessalonians is the CLERGY from any other religion. For this reason, I was too afraid to go to any other church, ask any other pastor, read any other books to look for an answer.

I decided to just read the bible and leave it at that. Then, in my reading I came across two scriptures that really freed me from fear:

Luke 11:9-13: So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.
    For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. "Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!"
    Jesus was saying here that if you asked he would give you the Holy Spirit. If you asked him and were seeking he would help you find answers. If you asked him to keep you from being mislead, to open your eyes and heart to the truth he would.

The basis of any Christian religion is a belief in Jesus as the Messiah. If you REALLY believe in Jesus, then you MUST believe what he told you.

I then came across Deuteronomy 18:22

If what a prophet proclaims in the name of the Lord does not take place or come true, that is a message the Lord has not spoken. That prophet has spoken presumptuously. Do not be afraid of him.
    Granted - the WT society has said they are not a prophet. However, if you research a bit, you will find that in fact they have called themselves a prophet: http://www.serve.com/larryi/prophet3.htm

So I realized from reading the bible alone that:
    (1) I should not fear what the WT society said about the "man of lawlessness" in 2 Thesselonians. Deuteronomy has already shown me that they have spoken messages that were not from God in the past, and

(2) Instead, I could ask Jesus to send the Holy Spirit to me and help me find the answers. He told me in Matthew that if I asked for his help in searching (ask, seek, knock) he would give it to me.

The final straw: My dad kept offering me more articles and books from the WT Society, but I told him that I had decided to just study the bible on it's own. Dad then said "well, you can try but you won't understand it without the help of the faithful and discrete slave because they have the Holy Spirit".

I realized that he was completely contradicting what Jesus himself said in Matthew. Jesus said that if we asked him to send us the Holy Spirit he would. So who's right - the WT Organization and my dad, or Jesus?

I chose Jesus. The day I decided to ask him for help and trust him completely is the day I was set free from the fear and guilt.

• AjaxMan
    AjaxMan

Good For You, Dawn!

By believing, trusting and following Him (JesusChrist), you'll find the real TRUTH, and that real TRUTH shall set you free from all the bondages of fear and guilt.

Great Work, Dawn!

((((Hugs))))

• gsx1138
    gsx1138

Or you can be like me and study the origins of the bible. I started a Christian and ended up a Wiccan. Regardless, it is good to see someone doing research on their own. The JW religion is full of oxymorons. Kind of like studying christianity at a christian college to prove the bible it true. To find what you truely believe you have to be able to go outside all of the selectively exposed resource material. You may not like what you see but if you can accept the origins of your belief then I'll think you'll be happy. Just be willing to understand other people and what they believe.

Dear Lord, please save me from your followers.

• Xander
    Xander

Easy answer to that:
    Trust No One

(gsx...WICCAN! You an x-JW or never-JW? Curious - I started a thread over hyah: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=26302&site=3 to talk a bit about witchcraft, et al. It's easy enough on this forum to find a christian willing to talk about their beliefs, but other than atheism, not many other people seem to want to talk. I'm curious what thoughts you have on your practice...especially if from an x-JW perspective!)

Xander F
    (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America - Ohio order)

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana

• Dawn
    Dawn

What's a WICCAN?

• Xander
    Xander

One of several religions that practice witchcraft. Although, other usages of the word exist. gsx mentioned that was what she 'ended up' in her post above.

Xander F

--George Santayana

• gsx1138
    gsx1138

She? Do my posts sound feminine? I'll have to add some beer belching at the end of my posts even though I don't drink. Anyone who wants to know Wicca will have to do the work themselves sorry. I do my best not to preach as most of you have had enough of that. On a side note: I'm a blatantly heterosexual male.

Dear Lord, please save me from your followers.

• Xander
    Xander

Terribly sorry bout that - checked your profile, and saw 'Julian' listed as your first name - the only Julian I know is a women, so I made an incorrect assumption.

Xander F

--George Santayana

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit