The contrast of the religion's magazines Today as compared to the Past!

by LongHairGal 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Just out of curiosity, I picked up several of the religion's magazines that were laying in a public place. Half of them were recent editions of the WT and Awake and the other were older editions over 12 years old.

The contrast is like night and day!

I am not referring to the paper, either. The older editions had more substance to them with longer articles designed to make somebody think. The newer ones were on the "light" side and more "tractlike".

Gone are the days of "deep" articles it seems. Although some would say they were deep in B.S. and I won't argue that point, the days of any vestige of thinking people in the religion is long gone.

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

They do not want us to think.

• zeb
    zeb

spot on bc.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

The magazines of 12 years ago contained more substance, and those in the days of Mad Freddy (aka FW Franz) even more so.

He was not averse to using such seldom-used verbal blockbusters as "revivify." While the content of Awake and Watchtower was if anything even whackier than now, the level of writing was at least more advanced. Someone with Grade 5 reading skills certainly would not have even been in the hunt!

Bill.

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

I mentioned this to a friend that is very much still in and her reply was "it's so we can meditate on them".

• alanv
    alanv

Hi LongHairGal, I would just say, are you comparing the dumbed down public edition with the old mag which was for JWs and the public. They would say they purposefully keep the public edition light so as to attract more readers.

• 70wksfyrs
    70wksfyrs

I agree completely. That's why I started checking out other sites. I felt "empty" after reading everything on jw.org. So here I am popped out this year. If it worked for me it could work for your loved ones too. I hope so.

• cofty
    cofty

I saw the new dumbed-down magazines for the first time yesterday. It's more like a tract and the content is written at a level suitable for children.

No wonder they discourage education.

• 70wksfyrs
    70wksfyrs

Alan, even the study edition is basic, they have an English simplified so there is no excuse. It really is more basic, the writting commitee are either old and dumb.

Or..........

There is a very clever apostate on the inside in NY helping us all to get out. Have you seen the latest AWAKE teaching us how to be critical about what we read. I mean come on!!!

• designs
    designs

12 year old magazines being placed today, I'd like to see their garage

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit