Alpha Course

by gem 6 Replies latest jw friends

• gem
    gem

Hi guys,

I'd like to pose a question to the board, but first a bit of background about myself:

I come from Southern England. I was brought up JW. We left as a family when I was 16 - no doctrinal issues, just couldn't stand the people in the org! I now work in computing, so obviously I came across all these internet sites by chance, and investigated the org a little more, etc, etc . . .

My question:

I am still interested in religion, particularly Christianity and the Bible for its own sake. The only opinions I've had on Christian religions is what I've been fed from the WTBTS. I'd like to do an Alpha course. (A basic introduction to mainstream Christian religions - http://alphacourse.org/about/whatis.htm). I'd just like to know what basic doctrines are, like the Trinity, etc. and then make my own mind up. Do you think this is possible, or does it seem too similar to the JW "Bible Studies"? Have any of you been tempted to join or investigate any other religions?

Your opinions (positive or negative) would be appreciated.

• AjaxMan
    AjaxMan

Gem,

I recommend that you have to do that search yourself.

You have to look beyond the opinions of the WatchTower Society. You'll have to access the internet and search/research about what is the core teachings and doctrines of each Christian denomination or religion as well as how they contribute to this society and world.

I know that I am doing my own search/research.

• og
    og

Examine the Bible first - I certainly feel that there is no reason to accept it as being from God. Try the book "Who Wrote the Bible" as a starting point.

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

Hi Gem, as you probably know Jehovah's Witnesses study with Jehovah's Witness literature, using a Jehovah's Witnesses bible and a study with them will lead you to come to conclusion promoted by Jehovah's Witnesses.

Independent bible study is best because it allows you to come to conclusions without a view slanted toward a particular denomination and you can then come to concusions by yourself that you are comfortable with.

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

I have a friend who teaches Alpha courses. From what she has said, I think that they are fairly evangelical Christian in slant. They aren't tied to a specific church denomination, and if you are a former JW, the course will educate you on more ordinary Christian beliefs, if you are curious. It won't hurt to take one if you want to, and you go in with your eyes open.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Helloooo there I have taken the Alpha course and it was worth it - not preachy at all. They show a film about Christ and what he taught. Then there is a discussion - real discussion - everybody putting in their two cents worth. No one tells you how to interpret what you have heard. No one will tell you what to believe. It is a basic course in the life and teachings of Christ. After the discussion there is often a meal - very enjoyable. In the group I was in there was a fellow who came in with a guitar and people sang Christian songs. I felt a little strange but it was OK. I was learning to connect with other people in an atmosphere of openness.

Some of the people in our group were Jewish and Muslim. They just wanted to know what the fuss was about. No one at any time tried to convince them to convert to Christianity. Everyone was quite content to allow them the freedom to learn and explore.

In the group I disclosed that I was an ex-JW. Got a lot of support and shared some of the JW beliefs - left most of them rather increduous that such things were taught. At no time was I put down or made to feel stupid or unwanted because of my past beliefs.

The group had about 15 - 20 people from a wide range of backgrounds - all meeting for one purpose - to learn a little more about Christianity. I would recommend it if you are curious.

If you look on most websites that refer to the Alpha Course you will often see a commnet by Lee Hardiman - me "good free-ing experience"

By the way I did not need to join the church after I finished the course - absolutely no obligation was put on me to continue

Aspire to inspire before you expire

• SexKitten
    SexKitten

Hi, ya Gem. My husband and I both have done Alpha. Actually I did it three times two times at our church and another time with all the churches getting together in our area. Many people from our commmunity came to see what all the fuss was about and the free meal. We meet many new people who would not normally come to a church service. Many got thinking & some actually became Christians, including one of our neighbours in our street.
    My husband had a few problems with it but enjoyed the fellowshipping and the family week-end away. He now has a better relationship with our neighbour. I loved it it's great non threating and great times togeather the dinner really helped with this. They don't tell you what to believe, it's open descussions. You can go away I think for yourself. I didn't agree with all, but it made me go and study a few topic of main points for myself-but hey I don't agree with everything my pastor believes, or my husband but we agree on whats important Jesus, praying and study of the Bible thats whats important and opens the way for debate and descussions.... Hey what the heck! go try it, the friends are great, the foods great, and most importantly the time with G*D is great.
    What it all boils down to is relationships thats what G*D made us for!
    G*D BLESS!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit