British music rocks, It's official (rebuttal)

by Preston 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Preston
    Preston

Never ever, EVER confuse greatness with popularity. Compared to music here in the U.S. British music is as good as it gets. It's true that bands like Pulp, Suede, Blur, Oasis, Manic Street Preachers, rarely get any airplay here in the states, but that's all I listen too.

In summation, if you really think "butt-rock" bands like Limp Bizkit, Creed, and Nickelback represent some kind of golden age for rock music here in the states then this is a very sad state of affairs indeed. We're a long way, away from Motwon, The Sounds of Philadelphia, the great punk rock bands of the the 60's and 70's (Stooges, Ramones, velvets), and the original alt rock of the 80's (Husker Du, Talking Heads). As far as I'm concerned British music is where it's at. And I'll leave you alone with your Kid Rock thank you very much!

• Matty
    Matty

There are some brilliant American bands around - there seems to be a trend going on for the last year or so in the form of raw retro punky garagey bands (in the absence of a proper name for the genre) But Sony & Warner Bros don't want you to hear them and make sure they get no airplay!

• Disposable Hero
    Disposable Hero

You can not also forget the NWOBHM ( new wave of british heavy metal) in the early 80's. True it did not last long, but it's effects are felt until this day. And bands like Iron Maidon (gasp! with all the beasts on the cover) still kick ass.

You lie so much you believe yourself
    Judge not lest ye be judged yourself

• amccullough
    amccullough

There's probably just as many good US bands as UK bands, they just don't get the airplay over here.
    Examples: Pavement, Flaming Lips, Elliot Smith, Modest Mouse, Death Cab for Cutie, Built to Spill. For some reason, they are the only ones popping into my head and I can't seem to think of any in the vein of Pulp, Suede, etc. By the way, this week's hot pick....Cornershop's Handcream for a Generation.

And Iron Maiden?!?!?! Puh-puh-puh-please! They should have kept "runnin' for the hiiiiiiiiiiiills!!!!" (in my best high pitch shrill scream.)

• Missie Eff
    Missie Eff

Please, lets not forget where bands like Limp Bizkit, Creed and Nickelback got there sounds from. True, Iron Maiden are monsters of rock but I feel the need to pay homage to the one and only Led Zeppelin and the incredibly cheezy but hugely influencial (particularly the grunge sound) Black Sabbath.

Can't say a lot for Oasis really - their sound is definately Beatles regurgitated but as for Pulp, Blur and Manic Street Preachers, I think they've had a few very good and very new ideas. Don't you just love Jarvis Cocker?

• ignored_one
    ignored_one
    There's probably just as many good US bands as UK bands, they just don't get the airplay over here.
    Examples: Pavement, Flaming Lips, Elliot Smith, Modest Mouse, Death Cab for Cutie, Built to Spill. For some reason, they are the only ones popping into my head and I can't seem to think of any in the vein of Pulp, Suede, etc. By the way, this week's hot pick....Cornershop's Handcream for a Generation.

I've heard of Pavement and Flaming Lips. I find a lot of US bands end up becoming more popular over here in the UK than they do at home. Most of them I hear on Steve Lamac's show and Mark and Lards.

I'm currently into S.O.A.D and Lostprophets. I'm also into lot's banging house etc.

Ignored_One.

• Xander
    Xander

Sorry, but music on THIS side of the pond is the superior.

Nine Inch Nails.

All I gotta say. Sorry, argument over.

(Actually, I COULD say more - I mean, Appalachian folk music...the Canadians have some good small acts, etc.)

I think the US gets a bad rap because the only thing most of the world sees is our 'pop culture'. Our 'pop culture' sucks bad, and is fueled by the constant stream of teenagers we have. Our small bands are pretty damn good, though.

Xander F
    (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America - Ohio order)

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana

• amccullough
    amccullough

Nine Inch Nails is for reformed Iron Maiden fans.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit