Who made the first image ?

by fulltimestudent 8 Replies latest watchtower bible

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

This week the focus of my Byzantium studies is the Iconophile/Iconoclast quarrel, when people could be bashed etc for having the wrong belief.

One of the things I have to do is discuss the arguements used by each side, and I was intrigued (amused) by an argument used by St.John of Damascus.

He asks the question: " Who first made images?"

What's your answer?

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Cave painters spitting blood or red dye over their hands, leaving hand prints....

assuming that by image = visual representation of an element of reality

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Well, OK I agree with you S & N. But this was a theological argument over the use of icons in worship (and, it inspired some rather nasty behaoviour) - but the biblical answer to the question is very interesting.

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

Well then you should specify... Biblically or historically? Don't assume the bible is an actual account of history.

What is the biblical answer?

• Bobcat
  • TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

Ancient cavemen when they saw the USS Enterprise coming out of the ocean. Oh that not it. That was a movie. But it does make sense that something they saw and did not understand became a image to worship. Totally ADD

• jgnat
    jgnat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cave_painting

Well, assuming that the images were also associated with worship of some kind, I think it is safe to say they were icons.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

In history? Would indeed be the cave paintings but most likely some more ancient rudimentary icon that we will never discover because it has long past.

In the Bible fables... I would say the evil god Jahweh. He made himself and people in his image. When you limit it to people, Abel I think, he's the one that made an "altar" of fruits and veggies for his deity as an 'image' of his good harvest.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

....Tumbleweed........

I assume my primary school answer blew your bible version of history out of the water lol... sorry....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit