Hello, just introducing myself

by Miss Behaving 62 Replies latest jw friends

• Sofia Lose
    Sofia Lose

Welcome. Things can only get better. Make wise choices. Be careful.

SL

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

Miss Behaving-Thank you for your post, it is very sad and at the same time very encouraging. Sad because of losing the life and family you thought were there for you and encouraging because you now know the truth about your family and way of life. Encouraging because you have freedom of thought, and exercised it, even when you knew it could be extremely painful to do so. You are on my hero list this year!

• Miss Behaving
    Miss Behaving

I expected a nice welcome, but I didn't expect so much love. Thank you. I kind of thought a few people would look down on me for my circumstances, but I guess that's the old 'if you're suffering it's your fault' programming.

Thanks for your stories, they were very moving, and thanks for being examples of where I can get to if I keep pushing forward.

I really liked all the compliments, I hadn't thought of myself as particularly brave, just doing what I needed to. But I like this new self image. I'm going to be revisiting this thread a lot when I'm feeling sad.

I hadn't mentioned it in my first post, I don't like to think about it, but It was my dad and stepmom who told me to leave. My mother died a little bit before I left. I don't know how she would have reacted, but I want to believe that if she had still been here, she wouldn't have rejected me, I want to think that if she had been there, things would have turned out differently.

I don't know what I believe, and for now, I'm wary of adopting too many fixed points of view. Maybe that will change. I remember those first few days, I wanted to call out to Jehovah and beg him to help me, but the words sort of got stuck in my throat. I didn't know if I'd be contacting Jehovah the creator or Jehovah the JW god. I didn't want to be 'helped' back into my old belief system again. My last prayer was something like: 'Is there someone out there who still gives a damn about us? If you exist, please help me. Please help me to be safe and make a decent life, one that actually helps people.'

Maybe someone heard me, I seem to be moving in that direction.

Lake Tahoe looks like so much fun! I'll see what I can do about getting there.

• jhine
    jhine

Miss Behaving welcome , what a sad story . It makes me angry when JWs deny that the org. breaks up families

Jan.

• Miss Behaving
    Miss Behaving

I've just read the PMs. Thank you :)

Please be patient with me, I won't be able to respond until later tonight. Have a great day, all.

• fastJehu
    fastJehu
    Miss Behaving

Thanks for your introducion. A friend of mine is in a simular situation.

No help - no love from JW-people.
    All the love, understanding and help (including financial help) is coming from non JWs or fading people like me.

He is in his twenties and going to school again - the best decision he could make.

I'm "inactive" (JWspeak) - because of all the hard facts on JWfacts.

Keep on reading & learning - and let us know about your progress.

A warm welcome from (with a big smile) a "lost sheep" in Europe :-)

• Syme
    Syme

Well, regarding "where to go next", no-one should tell you go here or there; you are free to decide it for yourself.

And that's exactly the point: freedom. You said it, nothing is more important.

Which means, that if you embroil yourself in another religion, you will once again give up your freedom, at least a great part of it.

One of the main arguments of JWs when you announce that you no longer believe, is "Where else shall you go?" (in the way of apostle Peter's remark)

Well, my answer to that question is simple: Nowhere. We live in the 21st century, in the age of reason and science; we don't live in Peter's time when "no religion" was not an option (that's why he made that exclamation). One does not have to join another, equally false, religion just because he left the JWs. We are not sheep, despite what the WTS says. Maybe we were sheep some time in our past; it does not mean we can't "change back" to being human, free-thinking human, once again.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

My mother died a little bit before I left. I don't know how she would have reacted, but I want to believe that if she had still been here, she wouldn't have rejected me, I want to think that if she had been there, things would have turned out differently.

My last prayer was something like: 'Is there someone out there who still gives a damn about us? If you exist, please help me. Please help me to be safe and make a decent life, one that actually helps people.'

Maybe someone heard me, I seem to be moving in that direction.

I'm not religious or believe in 'ghosts', but I have to say that after the death of each of my grandparents I felt some kind of internal spiritual awakening. Particularly after the death of one grandmother it was as if a voice was telling me, "You're being deceived. Get out and live a better life." That began my exit from bethel, and eventually from JWland altogether. Maybe it was just my cognitive dissonance speaking louder than usual. Or maybe the dearly departed are permitted one phone call and my grandmother gave me her one call.

Although I'm an atheist and would tend to point and laugh at my suggestion that your mother gave you a wake-up call from "the other side", I also inherited a tendency toward superstition.

And my heartfelt condolences on the loss of your mother.

• flipper
    flipper
    Miss Behaving - Nice to have you here. Thanks for the PM, hope you can come to Tahoe either this year or next year ! Should be lots of fun. You will receive lots of support and friendship. Take care, Peace out, Mr. Flipper
  • LisaRose
    LisaRose
    I expected a nice welcome, but I didn't expect so much love. Thank you. I kind of thought a few people would look down on me for my circumstances, but I guess that's the old 'if you're suffering it's your fault' programming.

The transition from brainwashed dub to a fully functioning adult, not influenced by cult programming sometimes takes years. It took me eight years before I went on the internet to look for other ex JWs, I guess I still bought into the "bitter, evil apostae" lie, lol. Give yourself a pat on the back for seeing through the lies and getting out, and don't be frustrated when you have thoughts of returning, it's normal to struggle with that big of a change in your life.

There are a lot of good people here, don't be afraid to ask for help or moral support, we are here to help

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit