Is there such a thing as sin?

by sleepy 6 Replies latest jw friends

• sleepy
    sleepy

Is there such a thing as sin?
    My dictionary defines sin as:1The breaking of a religious or moral law;an act that does this2a serious fault or offence.

But to have moral laws or religious codes you need to have a law maker, someone to define a sin.
    If like me you doubt the existance of a creator , who decides what is moraly right or correct?
    The majority vote?

Can sins or the breaking of the adopted moral laws of society really be defined as wrongs?Sometimes our actions harm people , obviously this is not nice and most would want to avoid this , but is it possible to act in such a way that no upset is caused to anyone?
    For example while we may not go out and punch someone in the face , we may use things that pollute our earth and in the long term cause real harm to other people, can we really lead lives in such a way that no harm is caused to anyone?
    Some things are obviously more directly harmful than others.But in the animal world such things as the eating of offspring is sometimes seen as normal.
    What is it about humans that makes our actions to each other have more meaning ?

Maybe in order to further the interests of man we need to make laws and moral codes in order to ensure our survival.
    Maybe moral codes are an evolutionary advantage which bring long term survival and success to peoples and societies who possess them.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

"There is no sin except stupidity" - Oscar Wilde

--
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes. - Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

This reminds me of a bumper sticker I once saw: "Atheists do it without guilt!".

"As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible" - The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126
    Believe in yourself, not mythology.
    <x ><

• wonderwoman77
    wonderwoman77

In my belief system there is not sin persey. Their is morals and values but no hard and fast laws, so no I do not think there is sin. Just right and wrong...

• Missie Eff
    Missie Eff

You are right. It is impossible to know for sure what is right and wrong. Supposing there is no creator - there is no one to make absolute rules for anyone. Supposing there is a creator - how can we know for sure what rules that creator has made? Who enforces the rules?

After saying this, we all need to live in a community of some sort and the rules are there in order for us to be able to do this.

As for sin - this ascribes to the idea that there is a very definate code of conduct as defined by a creator - an unstable idea in itself.

• openminded
    openminded

I think right and wrong is much less important than doing what works for you. What is the benefit of being right if your marriage isnt working or your family sucks (and doesnt speak to you) or your guilty all the time. Forget about being right or winning the argument about being right, even though your dead sure your "right". Measure your thinking and behaivior by this simple yardstick: Is it working or not working? Youve been right long enough; try being a winner instead.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Come on Megadude! Where are you? I know this is a topic for you!

"As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible" - The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126
    Believe in yourself, not mythology.
    <x ><

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit