John Carpenter's "THEY LIVE!"

by cappytan 9 Replies latest jw friends

• cappytan
    cappytan

So I'm catching up on R rated movies that I missed when I was younger.

"They live!" Was on the El Rey Network the other day so decided to watch it.

It was kind of eerie watching this being a fader.

Here's a guy living under a controlling regime of elites and only he can see the control measures for what they are. Here are some of the subliminal messages that he was surrounded with:

OBEY

CONFORM

DO NOT QUESTION AUTHORITY

SLEEP

STAY ASLEEP

This guy wakes up, sees the BS for what it is (because of some awesome 80's sunglasses), and decides to kick ass and chew bubblegum....and he's all out of gum.

It was kind of therapeutic watching it and imagining that all the aliens were the Dark Lords of the Borg.

Just thought I'd share that story from yesterday. Haha!

Any of y'all ever seen this film?

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    Great movie. And the 'I'm here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and km all out of gum' line is just classic. Actually watched it with the wife a couple years ago, and of course the parallels were lost on me at the time.
  • Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

well since you're catching up on the R-rated back catalog, definitely check out these other great john carpenter flicks:

Darkstar

Assault on Precinct 13

Halloween

The Fog

Escape From New York

The Thing (probably his best movie)

Starman

Big Trouble in Little China

In the Mouth of Madness

Escape from LA

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    I remember seeing it years ago. I thought it was great although the long fist fight scene was quite a bit overdone.
  • Simon
    Simon

I loved that movie. The over-the-top fight scene between the two hero's that goes on and on and on and there is the great line "I'm here to chew bubble gum and kick ass ... and I'm all out-a bubble gum!"

A decent B movie.

Another good one is "Scanners" (David Cronenburg). As long as you don't mind "head explosions"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081455/

I also like those 70's eerie sci-fi films like Phase IV and The Andromeda Strain

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070531/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066769/

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

Yes Scanners is an amazing movie but please don't watch sequels.

Phase IV is an interesting if only to see Saul Bass' only feature film.

The Robert Wise adaptation of Andromeda Strain is pretty good (much better than the recent A&E version)

• Onager
    Onager
    They Live has an awesome soundtrack too!
  • SoCal101
    SoCal101

I really enjoyed John Carpenter's VAMPIRES! Awesome movie!

After learning TTATT, I focused a lot on the work of Ron Jeremy. He has worked with some amazing actresses!

• cappytan
    cappytan

Barrold: I saw Assault on Precinct 13 last night. Man, that was a great flick! It was like a zombie movie, but instead of fighting off zombies, they were fighting off street thugs.

I never saw the remake, and now that I've seen the original, I don't want to see the remake.

Simon: I could have sworn I'd seen The Andromeda Strain, but looking at the imdb, I don't think I have. Going to have to watch that one next...

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

yeah the remake isn't very good. part of it is because back in the 70's, Manhattan was a total shithole so the dirt and grime really adds to the atmosphere. I love movies that take place in this era because of this.

When you get time, I'm sure you can find a list of classic American New Wave films. Definitely watch as many of those as you can find.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit