Finally Got to Be the Saturday Morning Householder

by mrquik 6 Replies latest jw friends

• mrquik
    mrquik

I visited relatives out of state this weekend and sure enough watched two Witnesses going door to door approach the house. I casually walked out to the front yard and, sure enough an older brother with a young married man in tow came over to me. I let them go through the usual speil & took the magazines. Now they must of thought they had a catch here & the conversation got interesting. Not telling them I was a former witness for 50 yrs. & an elder for 20, I told them I was a Bible student quite familiar with a number of religions & not affiliated with any one in particular. (Which is true.) I questioned the older on the "overlapping generation" theory to with he gave the company answer. I politely reminded him that in it's first fulfillment, Jesus understanding of a generation was 37 yrs. from it's inception to the fall of Jerusalem. He had no reply. I just could not resist & ran through question after question as the young man looked on in surprise. He left asking if he could come back, but I told him I was visiting & was leaving for NY in the morning. I doubt he will ever realize the burning contradictions I left him with, but I hope I opened the young man's eyes. I can not relay the overwhelming satisfaction I had on Saturday morning. If you ever get the chance, try it.

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

Reverse witnessing must be awesome!! I wish I get the opportunity to do it one day!

• mrquik
    mrquik

I was careful not to mention any WT phrase. I repeatedly went back to flip flops that cost the lives of their members. I got the "light getting brighter" answer. I said "Well as the one true religion led by God certainly God would know. For him to let your members die over a principle you changed years later would violate the cardinal rule of the one true religion, that of loving one another. (No reply to that one.) This went on for 45 minutes.

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

Nice! Great experience :)

• smiddy
    smiddy

Well done bro. you never know how that seed you planted will sprout.

smiddy

• jhine
    jhine

well done

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

My recent experience was a bit different. We live out of territory, so we don't always know the 'friends' coming thru the neighborhood. I heard the dogs barking like crazy and sure enough when I looked out the window I saw 3 pairs of JW's shuffling down our dirt road. 1 brother and 5 sisters. The Brother and a young sister come to the gate and ring the bell. Dogs are going ape-shit! I tell my wife: some of your JW friends are at the gate. She wanted me to go out and tell them she was sick (she was making breakfast and not dressed)! I said: don't worry, they'll go away in a minute. And they did.

The strange thing for me was the fact that usually she goes out to meet them, invite them in for tea if the weather is cold or offer to use the bathroom. Maybe she got a feel for how annoying that Saturday morning visit can be when all you want to do is have some coffee and make some scrambled eggs. Reverse witness would have been hard for me since I don't speak the language. But, you did a good job. Maybe I will get to try it when I return to visit family in the US soon.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit