How many would still be in if.....

by Flg8ter 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Flg8ter
    Flg8ter

I always wondered.......how many would still be in if there was no fear of being shunned? I really believe the very few of active witnesses believe that the big "A" is right around the corner. But, the fear of losing family and friends.......very powerful to keep people in line. I know like me, being born in, there was a long time when that's all I knew! Never had friends outside of the Org......if Ididn't break out of my shell, opened my eyes...i'd be terrified to lose my JW friends and family! I just wonder that now.......how many would jump ship if shunning was gone??

• flipper
    flipper

I would be out of the Witnesses whether I was shunned or not. I'm a freedom fighter and freedom thinker. I could never have lasted my entire life in the JW cult. Being shunned or not being shunned had nothing to do with me leaving. Love of justice and truth DID have something to do with me leaving. I could never have faked it for anybody

• Flg8ter
    Flg8ter

Wish I could be like and do that Flipper! Well done! My problem is my mom.....she's older and fragile (bad heart). To see me walk away from it, i have no idea what that would do to her....

• designs
    designs

Shunning and being DF'd was something on my mind in the 1975 fiasco. I continued on in the Org. until my parents passed then the exist plan gelled.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee
    Wish I could be like and do that Flipper! Well done! My problem is my mom.....she's older and fragile (bad heart). To see me walk away from it, i have no idea what that would do to her....

What if your Mom is thinking the same thing? "Oh...It would just destroy Flg8ter if he/she knew that I think this whole religion is B.S."

I wonder how many JW's are staying "IN" for the sake of someone else and that someone else is staying "IN" for the same reason ?

There are 7million JW's but if each of them know as many people as I do, who have come and gone out of the religion, there must be ten times their current 7 million. Each one has his or her own story to tell and the repercussions of their collective experiences must be astounding. Until recent years, people just left and were never heard from again. They didn't get to tell their story and that's how the whole thing survived. Times are different now with the Internet and hopefully if people want to leave, they will do so knowing they aren't the only ones out there.

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

No shunning? I would be out of the JW's... not true and not in line with the Bible...

I am happy that info on this website has helped me open my dad's eyes... and hopefully, I can open my mom's eyes one day.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

If shunning disappeared tomorrow, my guess is that 50% would walk away from the organization.

• jam
    jam

I believe the numbers would go up in attendance. Maybe not

in the mid-week meetings but Sundays I think you

would have an increase in attendance.

Because of the shunning many would have never found out what

kind of organization they were in.

You could have some type of a normal life.

The ugliness of shunning lead me to question the cult.

• Flg8ter
    Flg8ter

Exwwhyzee....I hear ya. But mom is old school....a die hard and completely off of the internet....... Being a JW is her whole life, sadly...it defines her.

Neon, that's what I'm thinking. So many feel trapped by the shunning policy.

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

Without shunning wts wouldn't be a cult now would it.

The only weapon they would have is the fear and guilt factors which may really mess up a person but it's nothing compared to the threat of losing your entire family. How many here are trapped in the cult due to family ties who would stop everything to due with wts the minute shunning ended!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit