I BOUGHT SOME BOOKS

by Lady Lee 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Hubby and I went to a used book fair. I love these things. They are such a great place to find some books for my library.

Well blow me over. I hit gold this time

1963 New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures 3646 pages. Large-print, one-volume edition of the Old and New Testaments as originally published from 1951 to 1960 [bi8-63] PAID $1.50 CAN

1951 New World Translation of the Christian Greek Scriptures 800 pages, Revised May 1, 1951, sold in green hardcover and green DeLuxe Leather editions [bi7] PAID $1.00 CAN

1886 Millennial Dawn Volume I The Plan of the Ages C. T. Russell, 368 pages Printed in both hardcover and magazine editions in 1886. REPRINT 1994 PAID $1.00 CAN

1889 Millennial Dawn Volume II The Time Is at Hand C. T. Russell, 384 pages, copyright 1889 Revised edition, printed in both hardcover and magazine editions in 1889.REPRINT 1977. PAID $1.OO CAN

All books are in great condition. In fact the reprints of Studies in the Scriptures are almost new. The Divine Plan of the Ages looks like it has never even been read.

The huge large print Bible is in really good shape with little wear on it. The green color is still on the sides (where one usually wears it off by thumbing through the pages)

The Greek Scripturs Bible is probably the worse of the lot. It looks like it has a bit of humidity damage and one page is torn in the corner but the missing piece is between the pages.

I am thrilled but I have one question that maybe Randy or someone else would be able to answer. The Reprints - are they exact reprints of the originals or are they doctored like so many other of their reprints?

Aspire to inspire before you expire

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Well LadyLee, I guess I hit somehwhat of a jackpot too recently. An elderly brother recently died and left all of his literature behind. Couldn't take it with him, I guess. The now separated dub wife is staying in his house, which he left to the Kingdumb Hall and found all the books. For some reason, she brought most of them over to me as she said she thought I wouldn't use them "for anything bad."

What I received was a bunch of tracts from the early 50s, a few booklets, Preaching and Teaching in Peace and Unity: 1960, Survival After Death: 1955, basis for Belief in a New World: 1953, Hope for the dead, for the survivors in a Righteous World: 1942, Gods Way Is Love: 1952, This Good News of the Kingdom: 1954, After Armageddon God's New World: 1953.

I also received the following books; Babylon the Great Has Fallen with separate question booklet: 1963, Aid To Bible Understanding: 1971, New World Translation of the Greek Scriptures: revised 1951, This Means Everlasting Life:1950, Let God Be True: revised 1952, New Heavens and a New Earth: 1953, Gods Kingdom of a Thousand Years Has Approached: 1973 (the instruction manual for what was supposed to happen after 1975), Religion: 1940, Qualified To Be Ministers: 1955, and the 1966 Song Book, more of a song pamphlet.

I also received Leo Rostens A Guide to Religions in America: 1955 version, the Watchtower edition of the American Standard Version of the Bible: date of printing unknown, copyrighted 1929, and a real old version of Smith's Bible Dictionary, copyrighted 1901, don't know when it was printed.

All are really good condition and except for yellowed pages, look almost new. On top of that, I dind't have to pay anything for them. Of course, you all know I won't use them for anything bad, right?

If God's Spirit is filling a Kingdom Hall, how is it that Satan can manuever the ones within that Kingdom Hall at the same time?

• new boy
    new boy

Wow! thats great,all most as good has me. I hit the book store last week too. I got this great book called MEIN KUMFP, only cost $1.00, now we both have useless information. In a yew years your books and my book together with .37 cents will get us a postage stamp.

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

They may be useless to you, NewBoy, but not to some of us. Since I just love history, what better history to research than the dubs? You know, when one forgets their history, they are bound to repeat it. Not me, brother!

If God's Spirit is filling a Kingdom Hall, how is it that Satan can manuever the ones within that Kingdom Hall at the same time?

• rmayer32
    rmayer32

That is cool. My mom (though not active) has stuff from years and years and years ago in her basement. Her mother was a JW etc.. I've gone through and found stuff in perfect shape that is well over 60 years old in some cases.. Cool find!

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Hello, Lady Lee:
    The "Reprints" are made by the Dawn Bible Students, and as such have no commercial value - if they had been originals, you can look at eBay.com and see you would have been able to sell them for 50-60-70 or more $ a piece. I have had the reprints from Dawn, untill I have been able to replace them with "The Real Thing", and as far as I have been able to see, and taken the reverence the Dawn Bible Students have towards the Pastor, they have not been "doctored".

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Thanks Oldhippie. You are right about the publisher - didn't notice that before and all the better. Their value just went up in my mind. I am much more interested in their honesty value than $$$.

Dakota and mayer - good to see fellow collectors. Right before I told my mother that I thought she was in a cult she gave me a couple of boxes of old books. Guess she was hoping that would sway me back in. Guess not though. She has no idea how much they truly reveal about the org that she worships

Aspire to inspire before you expire

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

I have five of the original glass slides from the Photo Drama of Creation. A Brother who was of the remnant gave them to me as he owned a complete set and the original slide projector. It was really interesting and he had reels and reels of films with talks of CT Russel and Rutherford. This brother passed away a long time ago and I think he willed them back to the Society.

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Lee,

The Divine Plan of the Ages looks like it has never even been read.
    Probably wasn't. My m-i-l has old WT's as big as newspapers almost....and all the other old books. She won't part with them yet - and I guess if we do more than "quietly walk away" - she won't give them to my husband - wouldn't want us to put them to unscriptural use and all that.

We've found some good ones over the years at thrift shops, etc. "One man's trash is another man's treasure."

That's what my second husband said about finding me - however, we were newly married, so the treasure thingie might have worn thin in those two decades, eh?

waiting

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit