Do you detect an underlying sadness ?

by Phizzy 67 Replies latest jw friends

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Whenever I talk to JW's, and even in some of the JW official videos, I detect a definite vibe of sadness coming off these people.

I am very sensitive to "atmospheres" and to peoples emotional state, you wouldn't think so, because more often than not I do not react to what I detect, I just let people get on with it.

But I do get this feeling that they are sad, probably because very, very, very deep down they realise that it is all false, maybe ?

• tornapart
    tornapart

Phizzy, my being still in, I am around them all the time and I definitley know what you're talking about. I get the same vibes from them too. It also comes across as an extreme tiredness- a tired of being alive type of tiredness- so sad.

• CyrusThePersian
    CyrusThePersian

I'm probably not as perceptive as you but I have noticed a perfunctory, going-through-the-motions air about Witnesses these days. I'm with you about their deep down feelings. Here it is 2013, only one year away from the 100th anniversary of 1914 and still no Armageddon. That's got to weigh heavily on the minds of witnesses-especially old-timers.

• westiebilly11
    westiebilly11

suspect they are approaching burn out....endless monotony of mind numbingly boring meetings/conventions/special assembly days/co visits etc etc...and yes deep down the internet info is diluting any genuine faith they had...pretty calendars yearbooks and daily dodo study must be tiring for many...

• fresh prince of ohio
    fresh prince of ohio

The last time I attended a meeting at the JW assembly hall in London Ohio was in 2001. I remember looking around at the people sitting in their chairs, hearing the same old thing. I found the whole scene to be incredibly saddening, so much so that I just had to get up and leave. Probably some of it was me projecting though as I was going through a very difficult time.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

The 'society' only offers something to its sheep if it keeps them in a perpetual state of melancholy.

I can say from experience, when happy, emotionally and mentally stable and sound, you don't need the promises and offers of such a group. For those brought up in it, they fear the very world they live in, the neighbours they share this planet with and are constantly told to be weary of the shadows.

Ironically the only thing in the shadows feeding such fear are the society themselves......

The world, it's people and the life within is a beautiful thing, especially if you are fortunate in where you are born and the opportunities offered or taken.

Jw's share the same surface area as everyone else, but quite literally live in another world. It was one of the biggest shocks on leaving and living a real life. I didnt understand how I could be alive 28 years and yet be so disconnected from real life.... But then 5 meetings a week, assemblies, 70 hrs of ministry a month, quick builds, studying and going off to bethel explain that easily enough.

I cant express my deep sadnesss and yet joy on meeting up with JW's now.... It is like watching a bird with its wings clipped, defending those that clipped their wings by declaring how unpleasant the sky would be to explore and how unfulfilling it would be to fly.... as told to them by the 8 men with clippers..

The sky is beautiful and to be free is to fly :) x

snare

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Of course they are sad.

NONE of the blessings they have been promised have come true.

They work, they slave, they grovel, they make defiant statements about what they are told will happen in the future, but their "future" never comes.

I remember a brother giving this experience in a Public Talk: When Barbara Walters interviewed Ted Turner for one of her TV specials, she asked, “Ted, with all your success, are you happy?” Without hesitation, Turner responded, “Success is an empty bag, but you don’t know it until you achieve it.”

For a JW, all the promises they have been given about their life turn out to be an empty bag, but they don't know it until they realize they did NOT (and will not) achieve it.

At this point in time, all those JWs who are nearing the final days OF THEIR LIFE, are finding their bag completely empty.

Doc

• sspo
    sspo

And even more sad is the fact that they cannot express sadness or talk about it because they are constantly reminded they are the "happiest people"

in the world and that have joy as no one else.

If you have doubts about doctrines and other issues cannot openly discuss it even with your best friend or your wife since you're

going to be viewed as weak and doutbful and the ultimate sin "apostasy".

Glad to be out and live a life of freedom and not a slave of the watchtower.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

It is such an unnatural and reclusive way to live. These old men, that rule the cult do so with aged thinking. Stealing the life from the young within. Look at this from a recent article on jw.org about the use of mobile texting.....weird that they feel the need to pry so deep in someones life for a start... But look at the message they promote here, it is just so....well unnatural....

True story: A boy and I were friends, and we texted a lot. I reasoned that we were just really close. I didn’t think that was a problem until he told me that he had developed romantic feelings for me. Looking back, I realize that I shouldn’t have hung out with him—and texted him—as much as I did. ”—Melinda.

Consider: How, do you think, would Melinda’s friendship with the boy be affected by his revelation?

Rewrite the script! What could Melinda have done differently so that she and the boy could have remained just friends and nothing more?

and then...

Texting quiz

Scenario 1

You’ve been dating for six months, but you now realize that the person just isn’t right for you. Which would be the better text message to send to the person?

1. “We’re through.”

2. “We need to talk. When can we get together?”

Correct answer: B. Unless circumstances make it inadvisable, it’s best to discuss in person the serious matter of breaking up.—Luke 6:31.

Scenario 2

You receive a text message that contains a lewd photo of a schoolmate. What is your best option?

1. Delete the photo immediately.

2. Forward the photo to all your friends.

Correct answer: A. “Sexting” degrades everyone involved. Refuse to be any part of it!—Ephesians 5:3, 4.

Scenario 3

You’re at the dinner table with your family and a familiar tone alerts you that you just received a text message. What is your best option?

1. Check the incoming message and assume that your family will excuse the interruption.

2. Wait until after dinner to check your message.

Correct answer: B. The text message can wait. Put family first.—Philippians 1:10.

how freaking sad is this.... And my parents wonder why I am so annoyed at being raised a JW and that my siblings and their children remain! My youth and childhood was taken from me with such BS as above, but we can help prevent more generations from losing their once in a lifetime youth!

snare x

• hoser
    hoser

I observe that some jw's drink a lot of alcohol to ease the unhappiness

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit