Special Pioneer anyone?

by Dis-Member 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

A recent conversation with a special pioneer..

She went to pioneered in Tanzania to serve where the need was greater.. spent years out there living in a decrepit mud hut with no electricity or running water. Despite the occasional great party with locals and the beach drummers she had the most ghastly time. She said the brothers in the congregation were only interested in her because she was European and they thought that meant she had loads of money. She was constantly being asked for things, especially cash and financial help form those in the congregation. She was bleached dry. The stress too played heavily on her and resulted in deteriorating health and being utterly emotionally and spiritually drained. Eventually a visiting DO told her to just pack her stuff and go home. It was not the glamorous exotic experience she imagined it would be. She did not return full of faith building stories of the great expansion and increasing numbers joyful of receiving the truth. In fact I did not hear a single spiritual morsel from her. She was in quite serious depression and confusion. What did come across although she did her best to hide it was that she was very disappointed and deluded over the sheer lack of any genuine interest and concern that the 'society' had for her. Now she is back in Europe unable to find suitable work and employ.. she has no useful skills or qualifications.. she has expended her youth and whatever other qualities that would make a prospective husband see her as a catch. She did not make it into the year book and now is on the 'past sell buy date' shelf wondering what went wrong with the other army of frustrated and ageing spinsters.. She did say that many of the special pioneers are being sent home now to serve in their original home congregations. Looks like the society does not even want to support them in foreign lands any more with the little salary they used to get for doing 'special' hours. Sad..

• ruderedhead
    ruderedhead

Hope you can help her to get back to the real world, Dis. Can you assist her in finding employment, and perhaps convince her to take classes somewhere to improve her skills & marketability? It's sick the way this org will use people up, then when they have no more to give, act like they did them a favor and they should be grateful. All the best to you.

• bigmac
    bigmac

i wonder just how many special pioneers / missionaries have anything good to say about their experiences

• jgnat
    jgnat

What a contrast to the Chrisitan and Missionary Alliance. They take particular care of missionary candidates. I just heard a presentation from a couple who participated in an internship for a year, visiting various missions in Ghana, to see what sort of service suits them. The C&MA definitely does not want to throw initiates in to the deep end without a life-jacket.

http://weareenvision.com/join/internships/

There is a trend amongst missions service to focus more on supporting, training, and building local leadership, rather than coming in as the "big white savior".

• Earnest
    Earnest

I have been to Tanzania myself, but only to Dar-es-Salaam, and found the congregation there to be enthusiastic, friendly and helpful. I could not wish for a more upbuilding environment.

However, if she was in a remote area in Tanzania I can understand she would find herself exhausted in every way. Africa is not kind to people accustomed to a first world lifestyle. There is disease, specifically malaria. In the remote areas English is not commonly understood. And communication can take days or weeks. If she didn't have a car she would be very isolated.

It would probably be better to read the adventures of Stanley, Livingstone, Burton & Speke than the Yearbooks to get an idea of just how rough it is. Still, I am sure she will retain many good memories of her time. It is a quite unforgettable country.

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

Sorry I need to correct myself.. she was a missionary not a special pioneer.

It's very difficult to help people with this mindset.. they are so convinced what they are doing is right and perfect that any talk of something different is met with suspicion and instant negativity. It's all attached to the persecution syndrome and the 'suffering for the truth' syndrome. You must not interfere with it or you are seen as against the truth. The conditioning and brain washing is so deep in such individuals that it's almost impossible to get through. They are in a world of their own construction. Woe betide you if you dare tamper with it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit