Odd experience today

by krejames 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• krejames
    krejames

Ok just thought I'd share this odd experience that happened while I was responding to Perfect1's thread "Did a householder at the door ever cause you doubts?" (apologies for the bad typing in that btw - was on my iPhone and in my work-break)

Was just relating the experience of a householder who caused me to question my beliefs. Just for background, the call actually turned into a regular bible study. But a proper bible study (i.e. he refused to study any of the JW books). We used to have many in depth and enjoyable discussions. He was of a baptist-like faith but non-denominational I guess. He was very open minded and admitted that he had changed many of his beliefs as a result of our discussions but there were fundamental issues he could not agree on. I likewise changed many of mine too - he knew his Bible much better than me and I was genuinely impressed at his sincerity - he went on many outreach type campaigns, had had a few "spiritual" experiences and I realised that I was in no position to judge where these experiences came from (the stock JW answer would have been that they came from Satan). He even came to the memorial once but didn't like it because he said it was disrespectful to Jesus. He never came to the KH again. Lots of Jws told me I was wasting my time and to stop calling on him but I didn't because I considered him pretty much a friend - I was not just going to walk away because he didn't want to be a JW. Anyway I did stop calling round, for various reasons, almost two years ago well after I first stopped going to the meetings.

Anyway, in the middle of responding to Perfect1's thread, I received a text from him completely out of the blue. I was a bit spooked to be honest!

Here's a redacted text of the exchange (I've removed the pleasantries and other irrelevant bits)

My first response to his text:"How strange I was just thinking of you and a discussion we had at your house years ago!..."

Him:"What discussion was that?"

Me:"It was one where we were discussing a scripture in James about healing. A bit random I know (I think at the time I was trying to justify the JW judicial system)"

Him:"That is strange; & topical 4 me. Not all the JW beliefs were wrong. Many were good. Will tell u abt things later."

Now I'm intrigued! I wonder if someone else called on him and did a "better" job than me!

James

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Interesting, I thought having proper Bible studies went out in 1988 just before I left. Not with a WTS publication just the Bible?

• krejames
    krejames

Yes it was just with the Bible. I did sometimes take the Insight Books and he had bookshelves full of Bible encyclopedias and concordances and so on that we would refer to. Having said that, you are absolutely right, the WT don't like it. JWs are strongly advised to use the Bible Teach book these days. I did leave him one but he refused to read it.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    he went on many outreach type campaigns, had had a few "spiritual" experiences and I realised that I was in no position to judge where these experiences came from (the stock JW answer would have been that they came from Satan).

He sounds like an interesting guy.

• krejames
    krejames

He sounds like an interesting guy.

Yes definitely!

• chrisuk
    chrisuk

Hi KreJames,

Have you heard back from your friend yet?

• krejames
    krejames

Hi Chris. - not yet! Will share it when I do. I'm really curious to know whether he's studying to be a JW.

• krejames
    krejames

Ok so I'm pleased to know that my friend is not studying to become a JW, as evidenced by the follow-up text exhange:

Him: "Sorry I did not come back sooner. Let me first say why it is topical for me. I intend to join the healing on the streets team. Long story as to why but partly from my own personal experience. Secondly because Jesus told us to go and heal the sick. I would going in fear and trembling but I do intend to go..."

Me: "Thanks I was curious! That's great that you're doing that. I have always admired your sincerity and your desire to try and do what Jesus told his disciples to do. I really hope it goes well for you and that it's a great experience"

Him: "And I always admired your going out and preaching; and your knowledge of scripture. It was a challenge to me. I really respected you for it. It came from a sincere heart and soul"

• chrisuk
    chrisuk

Great news Krejames! Thanks for the update.

• krejames
    krejames

Thanks Chris

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit