Bible teaches other Gods ruling other people? Is there an honest bible translation in book form out there?

by EndofMysteries 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

I will give an easy example incase any bible like this exists then somebody can point me in the right way.

In a hebrew interlinear, as found at http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/Hebrew_Index.htm,

Look up or compare Exodus 15:11, Ex 18:5

I'll quote from the NWT, but almost all bibles make the same mistake/assumptions I'll show in a second. (not quoting the entire verse just the important part)

Ex 15:11 Who among the gods is like you, O Jehovah?

Ex 18:5 where he was camping, at the mountain of the (true) God.

If you look in the interlinear I linked, Ex 15:11 SHOULD say Who among the Elohim(Gods).

Ex 18:5 where he was camping, at the mountain of the God/god. There is a 'the' there.

In interlinear I am seeing so much evidence/hints towards other Gods/gods. For example Deut 32:8/9 talks about the most high dividing man/humans/sons of adam according to the number of the sons of Israel(since Israel was not around at that time, it clues in to something deeper but moving on), that Jehovah's 'share', 'allotment', 'inheritance' is Jacob. How does the almighty 'inherit' or get a 'share'. Those words seem to mean other nations were given to others to rule over them.

Then Ps 82, the entire chapter, read that in the interlinear. But the first part would look like this...."God/Elohim is stationing himself in the assembly of El/the Divine One. In the middle of the Gods he judges. (NWT has gods for the 2nd part).

The entire chapter seems to maybe be about YHWH in an assembly of Elohim/God's/etc. He is accusing them of not judging fairly. In vs 6 he says to them, "You are Gods, and all of you are sons of the Most High", but that they will die as men. Then it ends with a call for God/Elohim to rise up and he should take possession of ALL nations.

So the whole point of this is that all these bible translations remove parts saying, "the God", or they capitalize or lowercase when there is NO distinction in the original text. Or like the NWT adding the word, (true). Instead of translating what the original texts say, they are adding their personal viewpoint on if this is THE GOD, or a god, or the true God, etc, and it's hiding what may be very important information.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

Also add Daniel and how the angel Gabriel I think had to get past the "Prince of Persia". In Ps 82, those in that assembly are also referred to as princes.

• mP
    mP

EOM:

The bible does not deny there are other gods. It only tries to say that jehovah is the god of israel because it was believed back then each peoples and tribes and nations all had their own gods. Gods powers only worked in Israel. We can see this belief in th example of Naman where he tries to carry back dirt from israel back to Syria( it hink twas syria) to help him with his leprosy. jesus himself never preaches to non jews for the same reason. Its as if each god has been allocated their place, and jesus mission is to guide them back to their rightful god. he doesnt try and convert gentiles because that would be wrong and upset the balance of the things.

The story of moses and aaron visiting pharoah is the same. The challenge of the snakes and shafts is about one god besting another. its never a qustion of other gods. We also have the challenge bewteen baal and jehovah on mt carmel.

• adamah
    adamah

"Looking for an honest Bible translation?" Isn't that an oxymoron?

Point being, Bible translations are carried out by believers who's goal is not to point out the problems and errors in the source documents, but to smooth them over and bury them, or to update the Bible by putting into modern language that tends to hide the anachronistic errors.

Your best chance of staying to originally-intended meanings IMO is the King James Version: it generally doesn't "bury the skeletons" (or at least you stand a better chance of finding them, if you do your research).

Of course, the 1st/2nd century Christians were NOT a unified group with a set doctrine and assemblage of writings they considered as inspired, but instead were a rag-tag collection of groups who held a spectrum of doctrines (eg as the Nag Hammadi texts have shown). The polemics in the NT against 'wolves in sheeps clothes' likely are directed against gnostic followers of Valentinus, with their heretical beliefs (like the existence of multiple Gods).

They would cite the OT passages, "You shall have NO OTHER GODS before me", and "I am a JEALOUS God" as evidence, asking the same question that's been asked for over 2,000 years: "If there's only one God, then what is there to be jealous of"?

Of course, as modern-day JWs would say, the orthodox church said all these false Gods are simply Satan wearing a disguise; never-mind that early Judaism didn't contain a belief in Satan as the archenemy of God, but a member of the Elohim, God's Divine Counsel. As a member of God's team, Satan served a role as the "tester" who was AUTHORIZED by God to push humans to see if they would sin.

Adam

• processor
    processor

I couldn't find an English translation that renders it that way, but the Einheitsübersetzung (the official translation used by the Catholic Church in Germany) renders Deuteronomy 32:8,9 like this:

"Als der Höchste (den Göttern) die Völker übergab, als er die Menschheit aufteilte, legte er die Gebiete der Völker nach der Zahl der Götter fest; der Herr nahm sich sein Volk als Anteil, Jakob wurde sein Erbland."

Which means translated:

"When the Most High passed the peoples (to the Gods), when he divided mankind, he defined the territorries of the peoples according to the number of their Gods; the Lord took his people as his part, Jacob became his hereditery land."

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

LOL, it isn’t as simple as finding the original scroll that the Bible was written on- in some cases there are at least three different versions- the Dead Sea scrolls, the Septuagint, and the Masoretic Hebrew- and who can say which one is more accurate? And does it really matter… if God has something he wants us to know, why doesn't he just send us an e-mail?

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

the 2001translation of the Septuigent says it this way.

'When the Most High divided the nations; When the sons of Adam, He moved apart; He set the borders of all the nations, By the numbers of the messengers from God.

9 'Jacob (His people) was the Lord's portion; IsraEl was what He'd inherit.

Messengers means angels.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit