Anyone from or in Alaska???

by terafera2 8 Replies latest jw experiences

• terafera2
    terafera2

I'm in Anchorage now and it would be cool if any of you are from this area. I used to live in Fairbanks and have wondered about alot of JW's who seemed to live on the 'fence'. If you are out, let me know!!

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

Ya, actually I was born in Fairbanks. We moved out when I was little though. My family was there for years. My grandparents were Ray and Beverly Baker. My parents are Bruce and Dorian Baker.

My dad's brother is still up there Brett but he's never been a JW. My mom's siter and her husband are still there Wayne and Renee Miller. He's and elder shes a pioneer.

My dad sister Blynn Married Dan Benson from Anchoarge and his families still up there. They're still JW's and live in WA.

Ven

• Xander
    Xander

Mind talking about your area some? What's the average temperature/weather like? What's to do up there? Etc.

(If it's not too much trouble )

The wife and I are looking to move somewhere cooler (we are in Ohio now), and Alaska is on the list of candidate states....we've just never been there ourselves, though...

Xander F
    (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America - Ohio order)

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana

• wonderwoman77
    wonderwoman77

Hey tera,

I am not from alaska, but I use to talk to someone on a totally different board that was an ex JW from alaska. I was just wondering if you were them...email me and maybe we can figure it out

• Carmel
    Carmel

Tera,

I spent 25 years in the "last frontier" but am now "outside" after spending four years in Israel. I lived in Anchorage twice, once while working for Sea Land Service and the second time while working for Alaska Hydrotrain. Left to live in Kodiak, came back then moved to Kenai, then finally to Wrangell in Southeast. I had left the mothership though by the time I moved to Ak so I only knew one Jim something that was the head of the congregation in Kodiak. He later moved to Anchorage. He was a longshoreman...for Sealand.

cheers,

carmel

• libra_spirit
    libra_spirit

I'm in Sitka, that is 800 miles south of you but in Alaska!

• umtiger
    umtiger

Hey Tera, I know a few people there, in fact I was just looking thru some old pictures I stumbled across yesterday of my trip up to Anchorage, quite some time ago tho. Feel fre to email me, and I'll tell ya names, I wouldn't like to paste it on here, I respected the man like a father I never had.

All That Could Never Be Said
    All That Could Never Be Done
    Will Wait for Us At Last,
    Somewhere Behind The Sun

• LoneWolf
    LoneWolf

Yes. We moved to the Eskimo village of Bethel in 1968 to serve where the need is great. I believe it was the next Yearbook that mentions it. We stayed there 3 1/2 years and then moved to the Butte area of the Matanuska Valley and stayed there for another 7 1/2 years. We know a great many people in that area, including Br. & Sr. Ronco, the Branch Overseer and wife.

Our oldest daughter and family are in the Palmer congregation now. You might even know her. Then there's one wonderful little Eskimo sister in Anchorage that I'd bet big bucks that you do know. She's pioneered for years. Email me if you'd like more details.

All of my family are still in. I was DFed about 15 years ago because they didn't like my looks. Actually, that wasn't the real reason, but the real one was just as petty.

LoneWolf

• Swan
    Swan

I was born in Fairbanks, Alaska, but then we moved in 1967 when I was about 8 or 9. Born in the JWs. Left them over 8 years ago. My husband and I live in the lower 48 now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit