May 2015 JW Broadcast, "The Watchtower Has The Most Multilingual Speakers in the World? True or False?

by RoyalFlushPhil 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RoyalFlushPhil
    RoyalFlushPhil

Stephen Lett about 33 minutes in to May's "Liar Liar" episode of the Monthly Worship broadcast said "Jehovah's Witnesses have the most Multilingual speakers of Any Organization in the World!". The Catholic church has the most people I thought, do you think he's telling the truth and where is he getting these facts? I finally broke down and decided to watch this in order to work on my Reverse Witnessing skills, lots of ammunition for anyone needing fuel to extinguish their dirty flames of lies!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Stephen Lett about 33 minutes in to May's "Liar Liar" episode of the Monthly Worship broadcast said "Jehovah's Witnesses have the most Multilingual speakers of Any Organization in the World!".

BBC

There are an estimated 1.2 billion Roman Catholics in the world, according to Vatican figures. More than 40% of the world's Catholics live in Latin America - but Africa has seen the biggest growth in Catholic congregations in recent years.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As of August 2014, Jehovah's Witnesses report an average membership of approximately 7.86 million actively involved in preaching, with a peak of 8.2 million.[1] Jehovah's Witnesses have an active presence in most countries, though they do not form a large part of the population of any country

• nelim
    nelim

Haha well spotted, Phil! Another common WT rhetoric. Note that he starts that sentence with "It may well be that ....". It may well be that my foot is attached to my head...! But then again, it may also not be. (It is not, for the record, lol!) Almost anything can follow after "It may well be".

Perhaps all those Catholics only speak one language and are therefore not multilingual. Highly unlikely though, as many countries have a native language (English, French, etc) and a local one. Yet another stirring-up of the "we are so special"! *puke*

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown
    I'm pretty sure no cunning linguists are allowed to be speakers in JWville.
  • OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    "Jehovah's Witnesses have the most Multilingual speakers of Any Organization in the World!"

It's one of those statements that JW's would think just must be true.

On the surface, it's really unverifiable. But logically, people in Africa and Europe tend to speak more than one language, and JW's are such a minority. Logically, the Catholic Church or some Asian group would beat them out for the title.

The claim just seems to bolster their idea that only "THEY" are doing a worldwide work. We know they are not really working at all in Muslim countries and in most Asian lands. Even the Mormons are working harder to penetrate such areas than JW's are.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

There's no way to know, as OTWO, stated whether Lett's statement is true. I took it as 'JWs have the most number of people who can speak multiple languages in a single organization.' Hard to say whether that's true or not. There's global corporations that undoubtedly have many multilingual speakers. I love hearing these unverifiable claims.

@sparrowdown, funny!

• jhine
    jhine

According to Christian ( Christendom ) websites parts of the Bible have been translated into something like 2500 languages . One of the latest being Inuktitut , an Innuit dialect .

It is not much of a stretch to think that there must be Christians who speak all these languages and dialects . I do not know if the WT can beat that , but Witnesses would be surprised that Christendom certainly must be giving them a run for their money .!

Jan

• anonread
    anonread
    Mormons go on 2 year missions all over the world, and in fact a lot of call centers are here in Utah because they have so many bilingual people. I'd say they have a better chance than the JW's.
  • RoyalFlushPhil
    RoyalFlushPhil

It's easy to locate the fallacy of his statement, consider how many Hispanics with Catholic backgrounds immigrate for a better life here in the United States. We have more 8x more Illegal Immigrants than Jehovah's Witnesses World Wide. Their kids (second generation speak English and attend Catholic Churchs on average) speak English-Spanish and Mayan dialects. His statement was either another blatant lie or absolute ignorance (ad lib), no he was reading off a script.

Use his analogy for any Muslim Mosque, he's out of his mind and nothing more than a liar! As you said, using common sense and basic counting skills shows Lett's statement is ludicrous!

• jwleaks
    jwleaks
    "Jehovah's Witnesses have the most Multilingual speakers of Any Organization in the World!"

I thought JW's and the Watchtower spoke just the one pure language... Borgism, not to be confused with Borgasm which was the language the "Revelation Climax" book was written in.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit