12 STEP PROGRAM and HIGHER POWER

by LV101 4 Replies latest jw friends

• LV101
    LV101

I know there's been topics previously but how in the world do athiests do the program when they don't use as their support the higher power Heard they can use the group, the ocean, etc., but seriously! My friend told me they recommend God as the higher power for the program to work in some literature.

• JeffT
    JeffT

An atheist friend in one of the groups I attend once said that praying seems absolutely rational in comparison to spending an afternoon high and talking to a log on a beach.

• TheClarinetist
    TheClarinetist

LV101: Some atheists will outright not acknowledge a higher power, and are therefore unable to follow the steps. That being said, atheist is a very broad category as far as belief systems go. Personally, I view the Universe as a higher power, albeit a vast, impartial, and unliving one... but that's what I would use, or attempt to use as the case may be. Of course, that might not be the best one, because the Universe doesn't really care what I do.

JeffT: Where can I get me some of that stuff?

• JeffT
    JeffT

JeffT: Where can I get me some of that stuff?

Go back to the Kingdom Hall, that will kill a bunch of brain cells. Although the log might make better conversation.

• LV101
    LV101

Thank you all and love your comments -- making me laugh. My friend is an x-witness and was worried about it being a tad too religious for her (the cOda group - 12 step) and I thought I'd read on the board at one time it's workable nonetheless - but not sure when she told me she'd read in their literature it's good to accept the higher power God. I don't know why they'd promote a specific higher power. I didn't want to mislead her and it's been effort enough keeping her from falling back into the kingdom hall with friends she works around.

Found a topic on AA a few pages back here and comments that were positive about the 12 step regardless of one's view on higher power but appreciate your taking time to post regardless.

Thanks -

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit