meeting yesterday afternoon at the Board
    of Trade auditorium where Mr. F. Draper,
    representing the Watch Tower Bible and
    Tract Society, delivered an address on
    The World's Judgment Day, and the
    Blessings in Store for Mankind During
    That Period."

The article goes on to report on the content of his talk,
    but what interested me was the inference to Second Adventist.
    How did this differ from Seventh Day Adventist? Also,
    the original Watchtower apparently had some type of connection with Adventism. Can anyone bridge the gap?

Kenneson

Take my advice. I'm not using mine at the moment.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

That is because the WT and the Adventist movement had the same origins, 1844 William Miller. This was discussed in the attached link:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=25583&site=3#327631

Will

"I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's."
    Mark Twain

• Amazing
    Amazing

We can add John Aquilla Brown and Nelson Barbour, who were Second Adventists, and I believe Millerites. Later, after the Watchtower was formed, Ellen G. White, a Millerite, was largely responsible with her so-called inspired direction from God, wrote her famous book, The Great Controversy. She was a proponent of keeping the literal Sabbath on what we call Saturday. The groups that accepted her teachings evcentually became known as Seventh Day Adventist.

Visit this: http://www.adventist.org/

• Justin
    Justin

What is known as the Adventist Movement began with William Miller, who used the time prophecies of Daniel to predict that Christ would return visibly in 1844. When this did not occur, Miller became disillusioned and gave up the prophecy business. But people who had been influenced by him and continued to speculate were collectively known as "Adventists" - they believed that the Second Advent or Coming was near. They splintered into various groups, one of which became the Seventh Day Adventists who emphasized not only the return of Christ, but the observance of the seventh day of the week as the Sabbath.

While the Seventh Day Adventists set no more dates, other Adventists did. Among these were Nelson H. Barbour, who influenced C.T. Russell. Because of Russell's associations with such people, some historians consider Russell himself to have been an Adventist, but Russell insisted he never was and had merely associated with them. Nevertheless, the Bible Students/JWs are considered to be an Adventist offshoot.

Russell claimed that his early associates were "Second Adventists." I used to think that this was the name of a specific sect, but I recently read somewhere that it was just a generic term for Adventists in general. The old newspaper article which you found identifying one of the Society's speakers as a "Second Adventist" would seem to confirm that it was merely a generic designation, otherwise it would be totally inaccurate. But, I'm surprised it was still used to identify the speaker, as Russell himself did not want to be identified as a "Second Adventist" at all.

• Liquidizer
    Liquidizer

Justin,

You're right that the Second Adventism is a general term aplied to all those adventist groups in the 1800's (mainly in the US). That's why it is sometimes spoken about the Second Advent movement and the gentlemen Storrs, Wendell and Barbour were leaders in their small adventist sects from whom Russell got most of his ideas or biblical interpretations. So, in fact, he can be considered, if not a member, an advocate of adventist teachings. This explains the fact that the roots of the JWism are in the second adventism.

L.

This is the end of the world
    As we know it
    And I feel fine

-R.E.M.

• jwsons
    jwsons

A couple of weeks ago, someone did post a cover of the Adventist's magazine with the name of magazine is "The Watch Tower", nice and cool. That's why The WacoTower and Dark Society always reminds us that "Announcing of Jehovah's Kingdom" is a part of its magazine's name. Maybe someone can post that picture again over here. I still have it in my PC, but I don't know how to post it here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit